Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Yamaha 3hp 3MSHKZ

Hello all!

I recently replaced my impeller ( what was left of it) and cleaned out the water passages, but now when I run it there's water leaking from the head gasket area. Now I'm awaiting the new head, gasket, t- stat and hardware associated with the repair. My question is regarding the torque spec and pattern for the cylinder head. I can't find them anywhere online. Does anyone have this info from a repair manual that they would be willing to share?

You should be able to find your manual here: https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/se...ervice-manuals

Did you look closely at the water (head) cover? The bolt tightening torque sequence is often embossed on it...

The closet I could find is a 2001 YAMAHA 4HMU / 5HMU at that link.

Looks like there's 5 head bolts (from looking at the pic), so just going around, "criss-cross" would be the way to go:
    https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...nder-crankcase
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-19-2018, 06:56 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks TownsendsFJR1300. I found a 2002 3v on that link. It must be that everyone just junks the 3mshkz instead of repairing it. As of right now I haven't pulled it apart, so I'm not sure of the sequence being embossed on the cover.

Comment

The sequence should be in that manual, if not (and it's a 5 bolt head), I'd think tightening like a wheel (crisscross) should be fine.

I prefer to sneak up on the final torque in more stages than the general 3. Should you have a bolt "stick" don't force it, heat, penetrating oil, work back and forth, etc...
        That'll be the biggest issue...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X