THT Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THT Advice

Where in the heck do folks come up with their information? Why is it so prevalent over on THT?

"Generally if the key switch gets stuck (in the start position) the starter will stay engaged until you put the motor in gear then the in gear kill switch will shut it down. Then when you shift back to neutral the starter reengages. Just check to assure the switch is not sticking in the start position."

THT. A two digit IQ site.

If you had three when you logged on, you're likely to lose one after a bit of reading.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Where in the heck do folks come up with their information? Why is it so prevalent over on THT?

"Generally if the key switch gets stuck (in the start position) the starter will stay engaged until you put the motor in gear then the in gear kill switch will shut it down. Then when you shift back to neutral the starter reengages. Just check to assure the switch is not sticking in the start position."
      Maybe Fairdeal can test this with video footage. I sure as sht will not.

The funniest part of what you quoted will be your reply over there.
      Last edited by pstephens46; 06-15-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

"Generally if the key switch gets stuck (in the start position)
        the "Generally if" is my favorite part;

the inference being that the keyswitch gets "stuck (in the start position)" frequently

but the result is not always the same...

Comment

Let's just think about this for a second, when in gear, there is no power to the starter (start in gear switch) everyone agree on this? so, let's say the ignition switch is stuck in the start position, the starter will happily engage and turn the motor, everyone agree with that? now let's say the starter is engaged because the switch is stuck, you put the motor in gear, operating the safety switch, and removing power to the starter, will the starter continue to run with no power applied??

Comment

OK, by the way, I didn't see that post on THT or know who said what, or what the answer is, it also doesn't explain why when the motor is running, how you can accidentally hit the key and engage the starter does it?
            Last edited by ausnoelm; 06-15-2018, 06:15 PM.

Comment

At first when I read that it was nonsensical, but it now makes sense. The only issue is that I have never heard of a key stick (in the spring loaded ) in the starter position on anything really.

Comment

Maybe the last sentence was the only advice that should have been offered. There some some other awful thread that was dredged up over there. I believe it was an F250 that a fool was insistent that propping it to hit 6300 was textbook perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                  At first when I read that it was nonsensical, but it now makes sense. The only issue is that I have never heard of a key stick (in the spring loaded ) in the starter position on anything really.
                  Turning the battery off would do what????

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    Maybe the last sentence was the only advice that should have been offered. There some some other awful thread that was dredged up over there. I believe it was an F250 that a fool was insistent that propping it to hit 6300 was textbook perfect.
                    See, things can be taken out of context. I see the advice as a last resort, if caught in such a situation, to buy you time to fiddle the key back off the start position.

And maybe the 6300 example, although an overrev, but was a short term intended test target with an absolutely, probably never will be in practice, minimum or bare bones weight, so that when normally loaded it ensures WOT is at 6000. Not knowing this engine maybe this is just hitting the engine's rev. limiter. After all the manufacturer has set that limit.

I haven't read the examples, and maybe there is more to say that the thread is "way" off so it should be treated with contempt, but on the face of the sentences illustrated above, it is not that hard to figure out what might have been meant.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Turning the battery off would do what????
                      But that would require you to leave the helm position, perhaps go on you knees, open a hatch.....waste precious time maybe.

Comment

pop in gear and then pull the man overboard.
                        motor dies and starter will not engage with control in gear

Comment

Why not simply turn the key to the off position? Then pull the kill switch if necessary?

I suppose shifting the motor into gear would open the starter motor circuit. I just never gave that idea any thought.

Comment

Why not simply turn the key to the off position? Then pull the kill switch if necessary?

I suppose shifting the motor into gear would open the starter motor circuit. I just never gave that idea any thought.
                            Pull the lanyard in an "emergency". I kind of feel that is for when you are party ways with your vessel. We all attach this to our wrist don't we!

This did actually saved my life and others that when I went overboard, I did actually have it attached and it pulled.

The life I've saving was the vessel only travelled a further hundred meters before stopping , that enable the few to swim to it.

What happened? Massive G forces, presumably the boat decided to turn at high speed without being asked to!

Comment

I was thinking more to the switch not being physically stuck, but internal shorting of switch or wiring

Comment

Working...
                              X