Non-Yam Mechanical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Yam Mechanical Question

I figured what better forum than this one to get a logical answer to this question.....what is the mechanical difference between aerator and bilge PUMPS? I'm not asking how they differ aesthetically, purpose and function, or likewise. I'm asking if they are mechanically built differently then what is/are the mechanical differences. Strip a 600 GPH bilge pump and a 600 GPH aerator pump down to the guts, hook both up to 12v.....what's the difference?
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

I would think if there is a difference it is in the motor winding, heaver winding in the aerator pump for continuous duty?

Comment

one uses a spray nozzle the other a simple thru hull fitting.

Comment

Personally, I would be "deeply disappointed" were I to learn that a manufacturer
        is designing/building their live well pumps for "continuous duty" -
        but NOT their bilge pumps...

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300
          Time for a hijack...

Plastic OIL tank (for a chain saw -bar oil).

It has a very, very small leak in it, pin hole (muffler came loose and burned a hole thru it) at the top...

It's part of the main case so replacement is not an option.

JB weld, 5200?

*Tried the re-melting of the plastic with a soldiering gun (as seen on You tube), just moved the leak down further even with adding plastic.
          I’d vote for JB Weld with some sort of patch. After double checking online specs for fuel resistance.

Comment

I agree with a patch, but maybe with something that is oil resistant and a little flexible.
            Is 5200 flexible and oil resistant?
            if not something like a silicon gasket maker.
            JB might work , but expansion rate may be different than the plastic when heated and cooled causing it to come loose

is Flexseal oil resistant?

back to Jasons question.
            I also agree if a bilge pump is not rated for running long enough to keep a boat from sinking as long as there is 12 volt power to it (hours and hours) there is a problem with its design.

could the 2 pumps have different head pressure designed into them
            one low flow but higher pressure and the other higher flow and lower head pressure
            Last edited by 99yam40; 06-11-2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Maybe a very small self tapping screw and then a blob of epoxy on the screw head to hold it in place.....

Comment

I’m thinking if you need your bilge pump to run continuous you should spend some time in the hull repair forum, or if you’re into gardening the Father’s Day sales are going on get some follows and make a nice planter.

Comment

many boats moored have something go wrong (thru hull or hose leak)or have steady rain at times and pumps have to run for quite awhile to keep them afloat. but if shore power and/or the batteries do not hold up the boat goes down
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 06-12-2018, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300
                    Time for a hijack...

Plastic OIL tank (for a chain saw -bar oil).

It has a very, very small leak in it, pin hole (muffler came loose and burned a hole thru it) at the top...

It's part of the main case so replacement is not an option.

JB weld, 5200?

*Tried the re-melting of the plastic with a soldiering gun (as seen on You tube), just moved the leak down further even with adding plastic.
                    Seal-All I have used to fix leaking gas tanks and other things. We used to use a small piece of ladies panty hoses and do like a fiberglass repair with the panty hose as the glass and the seal-all as the resin. Works great.

https://youtu.be/VNU5vyRLAu8

Comment

man, that tank must be made of gold not plastic. why not simply buy a tank?

Comment

Working...
                      X