F20 Trim Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F20 Trim Adjustment

Brand new with power tilt. Them trim stop pins are in the 3rd holes but i need to lower them 1 or 2 more. The pins arent able to come out as they hit the ram when trying to remove. Do you have to take the tilt ram out just to adjust the stops?

MODEL # and maybe a pic.

But generally no, you shouldn't have to pull anything to move the pin..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

it is 2018 f20lpha

Comment

There's 7 different sub models, do you know the sub model?

Here's a pic of one: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...0112/bracket-2

I don't see ONE long pin (like the old Evinrudes). Can you pick out what part # the engine currently rests against?

Scott

Comment

It looks like part 35,36,37. These 2 bolts replace the pin that would go through as the hyd ram needs to sit in the space. The motor rests on the bolts when fully lowered, its just that i want to lower it 1 more notch.

Comment

2016 shop manual: https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/se...a-f15-f20/file

Does the owners manual not address how to adjust?

I didn't see anything in the shop manual, BUT it should be pretty simple. With the engine trimmed all the way up, there's still no room to R&R those "stops"?
            Scott

Comment

Not without removing the ram

Comment

No trim on that motor if it is an F20LPHA model. Power tilt only.

The version without the power tilt assembly (F20LMHA) has a pin that can be adjusted to vary the minimum trim angle. The power tilt model does not.

Comment

transom wedges may be needed to get proper angle of the motor at rest

Comment

Originally posted by cdublu11 View Post
                    it is 2018 f20lpha
                    Ok. Just throwing this out there....
                    Where is the dealer? Can they assist?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Ok. Just throwing this out there....
                      Where is the dealer? Can they assist?
                      If they rigged it, it should be adjusted correctly... That's part of rigging...

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        transom wedges may be needed to get proper angle of the motor at rest
                        I don't see why you can't just move the current "stop" bolts to another position.

Might have to remove the tilt unit to access them.

The parts diagram did show "tilt lock UP" PLATES, apparently for maintenance.
                        Scott

Comment

I see five holes on the transom bracket to move the stop bolts to adjust the all the way down position. This a 2016 model I am looking at.

Must be in the owners manual how to move them to the desired position? Be a awful pain to have to remove the tilt assy to move the stops!!!

Must be missing something....

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

I don't see why you can't just move the current "stop" bolts to another position.

Might have to remove the tilt unit to access them.

The parts diagram did show "tilt lock UP" PLATES, apparently for maintenance.
                            Ok I was not understanding his problem good enough.
                            was thinking how my C40 on a 16ft aluminum boat came to me used with a tail on motor.
                            I took it off and 1st time running it out to the flats I had to get my brother to sit on the bow to keep it from porpoising with the trim all the way down.
                            transom wedges were the only fix I could think of , but putting the tail back on made it OK again

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                              I see five holes on the transom bracket to move the stop bolts to adjust the all the way down position. This a 2016 model I am looking at.

Must be in the owners manual how to move them to the desired position? Be a awful pain to have to remove the tilt assy to move the stops!!!

Must be missing something....
                              Are you looking at an actual motor? Does the tilt mechanism somehow rest on the stops?

The owners manual does not address moving the stops on the power tilt model. I think they are intended to be fixed. But???

Comment

Working...
                              X