What's my old engine worth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's my old engine worth!

New Yamaha F150 gets installed next month. Sure looking forward to it. Question is what to do with old engine. Engine is a 2004 Yamaha 150 TXRC with 619 hrs on it. Been a problem since I got it used with 325 hrs. Engine runs super strong until it goes into 'limp' or 'rpm reduction' mode. Still runs well in this mode but will not respond to throttle above 1600 rpm. You guys have been real helpful trying to help me get to the problem but it persists hence the new engine after 3.5 years of efforts. Question is how much can I reasonably ask for the old engine? It looks practically new, good compression on all cylinders. Put some expensive parts (new CDI unit and pulsar coil) two months ago. Kept old equipment as it turned out that wasn't the problem. Thinking about putting the old CDI unit and pulsar coil back in and selling the new stuff on E-bay at half my cost. Engine runs just as well with the old stuff. Then advertising the engine on Craig's List with a brief description of the problem. Very limited market as I'm on the Big Island (Hawaii) and shipping anywhere but here would too expensive for what I could get for the engine. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Maybe start by checking with any marine/outboard dealers in your area.....it sounds like a darn good motor with a problem.....

Comment

What you ask and what you might get for it depends on the demographics of the people and whether that HP range is popular. Is there a large percentage that like to tinker and see it as an opportunity to score a cheap motor?
      I don't believe it is a lemon, that the problem can be solved. And I would not regard it as breakdown for parts only motor.
      Being truthful about it having a problem helps in it not coming back, but I would not stress that you have spent "years" and searched the globe for answers.

Comment

whatever the market will bear for a broke motor or about 18 cents a pound.

Comment

Thanks guys. I did have a couple of outboard mechanics on the island say they were interested in the engine but I have no idea on a fair/reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by Psalm 99 View Post
            .........but I have no idea on a fair/reasonable price.
            Unless you know the cause of the engines poor performance, which it sounds like you do not, it's darn near impossible to gauge what $$$ you should ask for it cause you can't compare it to other like model/year motors on the market. You're in a precarious position....it could cost nothing to fix it, in which case you'd pocket thousands for its sale as an operable engine. But like rodbolt pointed out, as of now it's only worth what someone will pay for its parts or its total weight. Wish you luck.
            Jason
            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

just like when buying a new truck, ask what they will give as a trade in.
              most people will not go thru the trouble of selling their old themselves

selling the parts would get you more money probably, but takes time

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                selling the parts would get you more money probably, but takes time
                Probably his best bet since he's located on an island in the middle of the pacific ocean.
                Jason
                1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
                X