Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug cap resistance

'98 S200TXRW
    Motor has been booging down on acceleration. Engine starts great, idle out of marina, jump up on plane with no issues. Once I initially get off plane that's when I have to slowly give throttle to engine or it will die. I can turn off engine and drift for 5-10 minutes and motor responds well until I come off throttle again, then repeat ( opposite condition of Jason2tpa - http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...083-engine-bog). New fuel lines, new fuel/water separator, cleaned carbs, Ign. timing checked, carb synchronization checked.

Last time out after replacing fuel hose from tank to water/fuel separator same conditions occurred. But during return to marina engine bogged down while on plane (had not happened prior, only after coming off plane), I was only able to idle back to marina.

Checked compression, all cylinders within 3 psi. Checked spark (.9-1.0mm) all plugs had spark, although some better than others. Spark plug caps are removable so checked resistance and all were out of spec (4.0 -6.0k ohms). #2-23.8k ohms, #4-infinite, #6-170k, #1-40k, #3-9k, #5-8.95k.

Plan to replace caps. Has anyone seen the resistance on caps that far out of spec?
    Last edited by txislandguy; 05-28-2018, 08:59 AM.

nope, never ever seen a bad resistor cap in 30+ years as an outboard tech.

Comment

rodbolt has a wonderful way of pointing out stupid

Comment

might be a good idea to get your hands on another meter or at least a different set of meter leads to re measure them with.
        you will be amazed how a flaky set of leads will mess with readings

Comment

will do thanks

Comment

yes they go bad. it is one of the few electrical parts we stock.
            I agree with another careful testing.
            I really cannot describe the symptoms of a failed cap or an entire set of caps as it affects each motor differently. some you never notice others it makes the motor go stupid.

Comment

thanks bolt. I knew you were ****ing my chain.
              this boat and motor are like my wife. I've had her for a long time. Could I do without her, yes. Do I want another one, No.

Comment

Working...
              X