No announcement yet.

Prop nut torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'll have to re-visit my tightening approach. I just tighten until snug then align the pin hole to the nut but now will use a torque wrench to tighten .

aka Reel Kahuna

Comment

that tab washer setup on the merc worked and still works very well. screw up and it is on you not the locking design. you screwed up, lost a wheel.
      why is it so hard to follow the manufacters instruction OF THE WHEEL YOU HAVE.
      most motors today the wheel is NOT in the motor crate.
      Yamaha has no clue of whose manufactured wheel the dealer or builder is gonna install. nethier do any of the rest.
      why is it so terribly difficult for American males to simply read and follow instructions??????

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        that tab washer setup on the merc worked and still works very well. screw up and it is on you not the locking design. you screwed up, lost a wheel.
        why is it so hard to follow the manufacters instruction OF THE WHEEL YOU HAVE.
        most motors today the wheel is NOT in the motor crate.
        Yamaha has no clue of whose manufactured wheel the dealer or builder is gonna install. nethier do any of the rest.
        why is it so terribly difficult for American males to simply read and follow instructions??????

Because we are males and we don't like to ask for directions when lost either we just like to stumble our way on until found or my wife asks for directions!!!!!
        Dennis
        Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

then when you lose a 500 dollar wheel do not whine. when you overheat and smoke a motor do not whine.
          beat your chest and holler oooaaaa aaaaaooooaaaa aooooaaaa.
          thgen bust out the checkbook.
          however I am guilty as well .

Comment

I am sure that everything was tightened up hard on that Merc, that something must have given.
            At the time it was suggested that the brass (not thought bronze) that sits between the tabs and on the shaft splines simply cracked in half, but I don't know if that was known to have happened to others (how can this be proven when in all likelyhood all the bits have scattered and disappeared in the depths).
            Although at the time I thoroughly made sure the thrust washer sat snugly in place on the taper of the shaft, I now think that it may have somehow moved up a bit. I remember that taper within some washers may have been different.
            Still thought that design, presumably to avoid having a hole in the end of the shaft, tricky.

Comment

Working...
            X