• Show
Clear All

• 2005, zinc trim tab Yamaha 115 TXR

Trim tab loose & spins.
    Dual 115s, Standard rotation
    think I should replace both trim tabs.

Will I need new flange mounting bolts ?

Is Zinc the best for
    Salt water use. Homer harbor is considered "Hot" .

Looked at parts breakdown , but the description does not say it's Zinc.
    PN for Zinc trim tab.

Yamaha trim tabs are more aluminium based than zinc. Zinc tabs are old school.

It appears the threads within the anode are stripped. New anodes will have new threads. Bolt can be reused if they are in good condition.

Comment

You have two 115TXR and both are standard rotation? Have you tried to tighten the trim tab? Is it crossthreaded? Hard to imagine the bolts would be damaged. Usually the tab threads are damaged by the harder metal of the bolt. Zinc tabs are getting more difficult to find. Based on what I could tell from my last OEM Yamaha purchase, they appear to be an aluminum alloy. Which is fine for saltwater use according to Yamaha and many others. I personally like zinc. Boatzincs.com still sells Zinc

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Yamaha trim tabs are more aluminium based than zinc. Zinc tabs are old school.

It appears the threads within the anode are stripped. New anodes will have new threads. Bolt can be reused if they are in good condition.
        Zinc may be old school. I feel like an anode that erodes visually (zinc) may be more beneficial that one that does not (AL). Is it providing more protection? I wish someone could tell me. I haven't found an anode expert yet. After a year of the OEM anode being in place, I have one little swipe of erosion on the side. But I don't have any new corrosion on lower either.

Comment

I can only guess that Yamaha uses aluminium for a particular reason. As with most subjects, there are pros and cons.

Whatever choice of material one wants to use, I suppose substantiation documentation can be found that indicates that is the better choice.

https://performancemetals.com/pages/...al-anodes-faqs

http://www.boatzincs.com/zinc-vs-aluminum-chart.html

Truth were to be known, whatever is stated as being the best material of choice on THT is the right material. They know it all over there. Anyone who dares to dispute anything is an automatic idiot.
          Last edited by boscoe99; 05-25-2018, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Not our boscoe99, f them.

Comment

They vacuum test their anodes. Just to make sure. “Good physics”

Comment

how do you pull a vacuum on an anode?

Comment

Those guys at THT can vacuum test anything. Any everything must be tested way beyond Yamaha specifications. Because Yamaha is completely incompetent.

Comment

Working...
                  X