X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know: WHY "9.9 HP"

I recently "woke up to" the existence of "9.9 hp" outboards -
    happened to see a Yamaha on display next to a Honda-

obviously, the point is to "skirt a law" which has a "below 10 hp" threshold -
    but what "law" ?

USCG? something international?
    must be significant....

Speaking from memory I seem to recall a number of state or locally con*****ed lakes or rivers mandating a motor of less than 10 HP. Thus the 9.9 models came into being.

Don't think it is a Federal or International law. Although there could very well be some US parks or other recreational areas that have a 10 HP restriction covering a specific area.

Do a Google search and you will get hits from various US states that have a 10 HP restriction. Maybe Canadian provinces as well.

Just for the record, the USCG does not pass boating laws. It only enforces them. Many think the Coast Guard in the law maker. They are just a policeman of sorts.

Then there is ABYC which many think is regulatory in nature. They are only advisory.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 05-25-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

10 miles to go and a 9.9 pushing a jon boat. Been there done that.

Okefenokee Swamp
      okefenokee swamp, canoeing, wildlife refuge, wilderness, georgia, canoe, boat

Comment

never wanted to be so low in the water ( canoe or kayak) that snakes could just crawl in, bad enough they drop out of trees into a jon boat.

I had a 12 foot aluminum flat bottom boat with a 15 on it that would move well many years ago.
        not sure how well a 9.9 would have pushed it

Comment

To skirt some law here in Canada...can't remember what it is.

My buddy has two High thrust F9.9 on his 30 foot cat sailboat and she will do 8-9 knots flat out.

Did you know we Canadians are "spoiled" and "difficult to deal with" ....lol

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
            To skirt some law here in Canada...can't remember what it is.

My buddy has two High thrust F9.9 on his 30 foot cat sailboat and she will do 8-9 knots flat out.

Did you know we Canadians are "spoiled" and "difficult to deal with" ....lol
            Canadians and North Koreans are both difficult to deal with. And Iranians, Iraqis, French, Brits, Krauts, and anyone else that does not want to be told what to do by The Donald.

Comment

We have yahoos with a 9.9 johnboat full of people coming across sound in 2 footers just to get to the beach. Whole family. One had a patio umbrella stuck down in middle of boat for shade. I guess the good news is when he founders there will be 40 boats available to rescue.

Comment

bet they do not even have enough life jackets for everyone on board.
                strange how that works.

we tend to intervene when the gene pool is trying to correct everything

Comment

In Australia in some states under 10 hP and I think under a speed of 5 knots, the boat does not need registration nor the operator a license. Don't know how this helps with safety if the operator doesn't know the water rules.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                    In Australia in some states under 10 hP and I think under a speed of 5 knots, the boat does not need registration nor the operator a license. Don't know how this helps with safety if the operator doesn't know the water rules.
                    Sailboats have to give way to those guys I’m sure.

Zeno- what do you think about Warmbloods? The Clydesdale mix had a bone chip in foot.

Comment

I was told it had to do with coverage under your average homeowner's insurance policy. According to this, most policies covered your liability on anything under 10 HP - such as a lawn mower or snow blower. The 9.9HP designation allowed for easier sales since you did not need a separate BOAT related insurance policy - such as you would for a 15 HP. If you owned a home, and it was insured, so was use of your 9.9 HP outboard motor.

Someone else here can report if this is (or was) true.
                      Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

I believe that may be correct Jack. Also I think here in Canada you do not have to register your boat if it has less than a 10 hp on it....maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Sailboats have to give way to those guys I’m sure.

Zeno- what do you think about Warmbloods? The Clydesdale mix had a bone chip in foot.
                          Warmbloods of course are used in high level equestrian such as dressage horses. They are generally bigger boned, better hoofed and more solid than a thorough bred, but slower and not as "hot", so generally easier to keep them doing stuff without complaining. (Technically a Clydesdale is a warmblood).
                          But they may get very insecure if taken out of their generally con*****ed environment. I've often heard those that have had thoroughbreds and now ride a warmblood question why they ever not buy a warm blood in the first place. Personally I find they can be a bit "precious".

Good to hear you are getting prospective horses checked out by a vet. But keep in mind a good vet will reject most horses, as like humans, perfect specimens are rare.

Comment

Working...
                          X