Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACC-PUMP0-02-GL - why didn't I know about this earlier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACC-PUMP0-02-GL - why didn't I know about this earlier?

happened to be in a Yamaha dealer/boatyard "Ship's Store" yesterday -
    had a nice little retail display - and saw this:

You can see the standard ("quart") size pump beside it

I have to get one - the last time I changed the LU lube with my standard pump,

I counted "strokes" -over 100 ! life is to short to live that way...

Yup - a fraction of an ounce at a time, luv it!

I built a better mousetrap... used a 1-gallon pump-up bottle (garden sprayer, for example) and got the appropriate fittings. I also used a quick-disconnect fitting which made things even easier... when done, disconnect and the the only thing to unscrew is the little fitting still in the lower unit... not the whole pump setup which is messy and just goes flop-flop-flop as you unscrew it. Filling up a Bravo III drive takes a good 3 quarts - with this setup, I just give it a few pumps and done. You can buy pre-made lower unit gear pumps, but they're not cheap. The first one I made, I am still using about 7 or 8 years later (and I used it about dozen times each year).
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Only downside to a high volume pump is if and when someone pumps the hell out of it and stops pumping at the first sign of oil getting to the top oil. He inserts the screws and is done. Lower unit is now under filled.

Oil takes a while to find its way into the nooks and crannies. Procedure is to add oil until air free bubbles come out the top hole. Take a five minute break and then come back and top it off.

I like the pump that attaches to the gallon jug if for no other reason than the jug stays put. A quart bottle, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Only downside to a high volume pump is if and when someone pumps the hell out of it and stops pumping at the first sign of oil getting to the top oil. He inserts the screws and is done. Lower unit is now under filled.

Oil takes a while to find its way into the nooks and crannies. Procedure is to add oil until air free bubbles come out the top hole. Take a five minute break and then come back and top it off.
        Agree. It also seems to "expand" after you stop pumping and if you unscrew too quickly after stopping the pumping, the oil tends to come back out under pressure. Letting it settle for a bit tends to allow for less "loss" when unscrewing the fitting.

The quick disconnects I used both have an internal "auto-shutoff" when disconnected. So when oil first starts appearing in the top hole, I disconnect which immediately shuts off the oil supply. The 1-gallon container stays pressurized and I can reconnect at any time, if need be.

Quart bottle are a pain. If the lower unit takes more than a quart (like some sterndrives), then you also have to transfer the pump to the next quart bottle... which is more mess!

Comment

this looks pretty clever:

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
            Yup - a fraction of an ounce at a time, luv it!

I built a better mousetrap... used a 1-gallon pump-up bottle (garden sprayer, for example) and got the appropriate fittings. I also used a quick-disconnect fitting which made things even easier... when done, disconnect and the the only thing to unscrew is the little fitting still in the lower unit... not the whole pump setup which is messy and just goes flop-flop-flop as you unscrew it. Filling up a Bravo III drive takes a good 3 quarts - with this setup, I just give it a few pumps and done. You can buy pre-made lower unit gear pumps, but they're not cheap. The first one I made, I am still using about 7 or 8 years later (and I used it about dozen times each year).
            Doesn't count if there's no PICTURES!!

Also, I have a smaller piece of hose that fits inside the "standard hose". Once done, I stick that smaller piece of hose inside the TOP hole and "top off" so I know it's not low.

I would like to see the quick disconnect (which as you stated, is a PIA without((flipping the bottle around and around, etc))
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Doesn't count if there's no PICTURES!!

Also, I have a smaller piece of hose that fits inside the "standard hose". Once done, I stick that smaller piece of hose inside the TOP hole and "top off" so I know it's not low.

I would like to see the quick disconnect (which as you stated, is a PIA without((flipping the bottle around and around, etc))
              I'll be home later tonight and will get a picture!

Comment

***y-Tight-Short-Dresses-for-Girls27.jpg

I got your picture right here. Plus, I loves me some pumps!

Comment

Got home really late tonight. I'll try to get some tomorrow... but I don't think my picture will be much to look at.

Comment

That would probably be a really great pump!!!
                    Dennis
                    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

I am not sure , if you could turn off the sound end of it,
                      it looks like it could be

Comment

This is the first one I made, and still use. It's actually a pressurized brake bleeder bottle, but the same thing as a garden sprayer. The only thing you want to do with a garden sprayer is make sure you get Viton seals - either make sure the unit comes with it or call the manufacturer and have them send you new ones to replace the normal rubber as the gear oil will eat them. Not that it matters, but I used Hudson and they were great to deal with.

The fittings (chrome over bronze) are "auto shut-off" when disconnected and are made by Colder Products. You can get these in plastic, too. The adapters are made by Stevens Instrument Company (who also make a professional grade gearcase filler that I use at the shop, but it's kinda expensive and overkill for around the home or just doing one/two boats at a time).

---Working on the photos --- Seems like I can't use Photobucket anymore w/o paying ---

Last edited by DennisG01; 05-25-2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Dennis, I saw a post from you for a second, (then it disappeared) about Photo Bucket not working.

Suggestion, go to: https://postimages.org/ and open an account there.

Free, very easy to use. Been using that since PB went south...
                          Scott

Comment

I read PB has backed off of their fees some

Comment

Nice unit ^^, way nicer than the plastic POS I have.

Is that an air chuck hose fitting you used for the quick disconnect?
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X