Shift postion switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift postion switch

What is the best way to check the switch on the engine and the one in the controls?

the "neutral start switch" in the remote control is in series with the cranking "signal" -
    all it does is enable/prevent the starter from running.
    The ECU has no knowledge of its state.

the neutral switch at the engine is an input to the ECU
    should be closed (continuity) when shift lever is in neutral
    open (no continuity) when shift lever is in gear.

I think - but not certain - that the neutral switch is the inner one, with the shift cut switch the outer

per the wiring diagram,
    the harness lead for the neutral switch has a black and a brown wire
    the harness lead for the shift cut has a black and a blue/yellow
    Last edited by fairdeal; 05-22-2018, 07:52 PM.

Comment

and not all shift cut or position switchs are simply on or off. some have resistors built in.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        some have resistors built in.
        guessing that is parallel to the contacts - so the ECU can distinguish "disconnected" from "open" ?

Comment

If any switches do have a resistor, think Yamaha is going to be telling anyone which is which?

Comment

Would a test procedure for said switch not be in the SM for his engine? Or am I living in LA LA land thinking such a thing?

Comment

if the wiring diagram in the F225 SM is to be taken as gospel,
              there is a resistor in parallel in the shift cut switch
              but it does not "figure into" the switch testing process
              (16 is the shift cut, 17 is the neutral)

Last edited by fairdeal; 05-23-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                Would a test procedure for said switch not be in the SM for his engine? Or am I living in LA LA land thinking such a thing?
                I'm sorry Panasonic. Between Rodbolt speaking like Yoda and myself trying to accommodate all of my customers that got blasted by tornados in the North East. I figured that some non condescending help would make it less time consuming to figure out. I believe the switch that I'm asking out is the one thats on top of the shift arm.. Thats the shift switch, also the one I'm showing " irregular ". That one doesn't have a resistor.

"cause anytime the ECU aint happy it is trying to tell you. listen to it"

And after I check the micro switch again and it checks out.... Can the switch still be bad? Or look else where. Thank you for your help as always Fairdeal.

Comment

Keith,

I was not trying to be condescending towards you. I did not know if there was a test for the switch in the SM and assumed there wasn't. I was being a smart a** towards Yamaha for not putting one in the SM.

My applogizes if it was taken the wrong way.

Do you have a SM for your engine? Please post the Model and S/N and I can direct you to one for free.

Mr.Fairdeal is helpful to all.

Comment

if your engine has a shift cut switch the SM will have the test.
                    if it has a shift position switch the SM will have the test.
                    or you can use YDS and watch them work.

Comment

If I operate the switch manually it works as it should. I wondering if the cable is not adjusted properly or it has some bind in it where the switch doesn't get actuated properly.

Comment

Keith, perhaps if you could tell what you have going on with your engine and why you are focused on your shift switch some better answers/suggestions may come your way.

I asked what engine you have and if you have a manual...you did not answer.The more details the better...your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                          Keith, perhaps if you could tell what you have going on with your engine and why you are focused on your shift switch some better answers/suggestions may come your way.

I asked what engine you have and if you have a manual...you did not answer.The more details the better...your choice.
                          It's a f225txr. Yes I do have the sm. It's had an erratic idle. The yds said the switch is irregular. I noticed that the shift cable is not staying lined up after shifting it. I believe thats why i'm having the issue

Comment

Let us know how you make out.

Comment

Sounds like your shift cable is stretched.

Comment

Working...
                              X