F8 water discharge question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F8 water discharge question.

Hello all. New member here. A question regarding a 2007 F8. Water pump is working with good flow from the tell tale but water is also discharging from two holes at the top of the leg under the plastic cowling. The engine does not overheat.
    Suggestions?

Could you post the model of the engine, and possibly another picture taken a bit further back so we can see a larger area around the leak.

Comment

The model and serial numbers are no ledgible but I believe that it is a 2007. Four stroke, 8HP, long shaft. Additional pics attached.

Comment

What is the rubber thing strapped around the leg with the pipe sticking out of it?

Comment

Easy Steer connection point to the stern drive leg.

Comment

seems that there is water flowing up out of the pump from driveshaft or some other place on the water pump.
            are you sure the housing and water tube connections are in good condition?

a lot of motor have water coming out of lower unit from drain holes in mid section, I have no idea if that small 8hp is suppose to do that or not

Comment

The only part in the system that is suspect is the rubber grommet that attaches the water tube to the pump housing. I’ve got one on order.
              Where does the water exit on these engines other than the tell tale?

Comment

Go here to see your manual...there may be a water flow diagram to refer to.

I know someone who has a engine F9.9 approx the same year and is very similar to yours. I never seen it running with the bottom plastic shrouds off, so I can't say if that is normal or not.

https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/se...a-shop-manuals

Comment

Originally posted by Kalaski55 View Post
                  The only part in the system that is suspect is the rubber grommet that attaches the water tube to the pump housing. I’ve got one on order.
                  Where does the water exit on these engines other than the tell tale?
                  why do you think the tube grommet is the only suspect?
                  could be the tube,housing,gaskets/o rings, etc

Comment

Good point but I have had the pump apart and all seals and gaskets at that end are good. The grommet seemed to be a very loose fit on the water tube. The only other part that may be in question is the water tube. I don’t know how it attaches to the power head on these engines but I imagine that it screws in. I may have to take a look at that end of the tube but am avoiding it since I don’t want to pull off the power head. I hesitate going too far into this since there is a good stream from the tell tale and the engine does not over heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalaski55 View Post
                      Good point but I have had the pump apart and all seals and gaskets at that end are good. The grommet seemed to be a very loose fit on the water tube. The only other part that may be in question is the water tube. I don’t know how it attaches to the power head on these engines but I imagine that it screws in. I may have to take a look at that end of the tube but am avoiding it since I don’t want to pull off the power head. I hesitate going too far into this since there is a good stream from the tell tale and the engine does not over heat.
                      Don't know about this small motor, Some people have dropped the lower and hooked up a hose directly to end of water pipe. With a flashlight etc, you might be able to tell what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                        Some people have dropped the lower and hooked up a hose directly to end of water pipe. With a flashlight etc, you might be able to tell what is going on.
                        Plus one ^^^.

Proceeding with a con*****ed water flow, should help narrow it down(obviously starting with a dry motor).

Will it leak with the engine OFF, just on the flusher device?

I gather the "Top cowl Pan" is dry inside (water isn't running down from inside there)?
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                        X