Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzer not working on Yamaha 40 hp four stroke

Hey!

I've got a Yamaha 40 hp four stroke from 2002 with one previous owner. Since its been hanging around for 16 years, I've started to be a little be more aware of it although it has been working just great since I bought it.

I therefore thought it would be a good idea after all these years to verify that the warning/alarm system on it works as it should. I read at this forum that it could be easily verified by detaching the "dead man's switch" and then try to start the engine. I tried it multiple times, but the buzzer was not sounding at all.

I therefore opened up the "remote control 703" to verify that it had a buzzer, which it had. I connected it directly to the 12V battery to verify its condition and it sounded loud and worked fine. I then measured the two wires that connects with the buzzer from the harness (yellow and purple) with a multimeter, and when starting the engine without "dead man's grip" connected it went from 0V to 1V so something seems wierd here.

Next i tried to ground what I think is the water temp sensor on the engine to see if the water warning lamp would start to blink on the multifunction gauge which it didn't and of course the buzzer didn't sound either. (I attach a picture of what I think is the water temp sensor, it would be great if someone could verify that it is the right one that i'm grounding.)

To be sure that the multifunction gauge was working, I disconnected the data cables and grounded the green/white cable on the gauge and the water temp indicator started to flash so at least the gauge seems to be working. Same thing with the oil warning indicator (green/pink wire).

So, do anyone know what I can do next to find out why the buzzer is not alarming as it should?

It would also be great if someone could tell me where the oil sensor is located so I can try to ground that one and see what's happening. I attach some pictures of my gear if that can be helpful for you.

Thanks alot!!

What you may read about one Yamaha does not necessarily apply to a different Yamaha.

The component you circled is the oil pressure switch.

The thermosensor is below the rectifier/regulator (the silver square looking component). A sensor is not a switch. A switch can be a sensor but not vice versa.

Please provide the complete model of your motor. There are different F40 models.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 05-17-2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      What you may read about one Yamaha does not necessarily apply to a different Yamaha.

The component you circled is the oil pressure switch.

The thermosensor is below the rectifier/regulator (the silver square looking component). A sensor is not a switch. A switch can be a sensor but not vice versa.

Please provide the complete model of your motor. There are different F40 models.
      Hey, thanks for your answer!

I'll go and get the exact model number of the engine tomorrow.

Just for clarification, are both these sensor that I've marked on this attached picture below thermo/temperatur sensors?

Novice question here, but why there are two of them?

Is it possible to use one of them for hooking up with a temperature gauge?

Best regards, Johan
      Attached Files

Comment

no, if you want to add something ( temperature gauge) you will need to add the sensor for it also

Comment

Originally posted by Runnerrr View Post

Hey, thanks for your answer!

I'll go and get the exact model number of the engine tomorrow.

Just for clarification, are both these sensor that I've marked on this attached picture below thermo/temperatur sensors?

Novice question here, but why there are two of them?

Is it possible to use one of them for hooking up with a temperature gauge?

Best regards, Johan
          No. That is just a connection point for some trim and tilt wiring. The thermosensor is just above them. Right below the R/R. If I have you motor model correct.

Comment

Thanks alot! I checked today and that seems to be the right model. The sensor were right where you located it on the picture. I attached an image of my model number of the engine.

With help of the model number, can you check if the buzzer i supposed to sound when firing up the engine without the dead man grip attached?

Is it safe/OK to try shortcut the thermo sensor to see if the buzzer triggers?

Best regards, Johan

Comment

Model is an F40BET.

Was the motor a tiller model that got converted to a remote control or was it a remote control model from the git go? Look at the main engine harness connector. Does it have ten pins or seven pins?

Does the motor have warning lights at the front of the cowl?

You don't shortcut a sensor. A switch yes. A sensor no.

Start and run the motor and then jumper the oil pressure lead to an unpainted section of the block. Wait a bit. The alarm might sound.

Comment

The over temperature system can be tested by jumpering a 220 ohm resister across the engine harness side thermosensor connector terminals that would normally be connected to the temperature sensor. Start the motor and run it at a fast idle. The alarm can take up to a minute and a half to be activated. It is time and RPM dependent.

The resistor will simulate a sensor that is at the correct ohms value to make the alarm sound. This assumes you have a F40BTLR model.

Comment

Model is an F40BET.

Was the motor a tiller model that got converted to a remote control or was it a remote control model from the git go? Look at the main engine harness connector. Does it have ten pins or seven pins?

Does the motor have warning lights at the front of the cowl?

You don't shortcut a sensor. A switch yes. A sensor no.

Start and run the motor and then jumper the oil pressure lead to an unpainted section of the block. Wait a bit. The alarm might sound.
                  I'm pretty sure it is not a tiller model that has been converted. There is no warning lights at the front of the cowl.

I tried to jump the oil pressure switch today and it took less than 5 seconds with the engine running until the buzzer started to sound and the oil pressure indicator started to flash on the tachometer. So really nice progress here.

Now the only thing i wonder about is why it is not sounding when trying to start the engine without the lanyard connected?

According to this post: http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...772#post150772
                  rodbolt17 states that "if the alarm wont sound while cranking with the lanyard out, the system is faulty."

This worries me a little bit and it would therefore be great to know if there is anything more that I can try / troubleshoot?

Thanks again for all your help!

Best regards, Johan
                  Last edited by Runnerrr; 05-21-2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

like you have been told, not all Yamaha's are alike. the kill lanyard trick only works with V4 and larger.
                    your Yamaha is not even a Yamaha but a mercury with silver blue paint.that is why all your electronics on the engine are marked Motorola and not Mitsubishi or hitachi.

Comment

"Now the only thing i wonder about is why it is not sounding when trying to start the engine without the lanyard connected?"

The only thing that I know for absolutely certain is that there is nothing absolutely certain about Yamaha design. Just because 99% of all remotely con*****ed models that are installed as single motors on a boat will sound the alarm if the motor is cranked and the kill switch is activated does not mean that all will do it. Your motor is part of the 1%.

You know for a fact now that the buzzer works. You know for a fact now that the low oil pressure alarm works. Do you now think that there is something wrong with your motor?

Comment

The only thing common about Yamaha outboard motors is their colour. Oh wait. Some can be painted black. Oh wait, some can now be painted white.

Comment

"Now the only thing i wonder about is why it is not sounding when trying to start the engine without the lanyard connected?"

The only thing that I know for absolutely certain is that there is nothing absolutely certain about Yamaha design. Just because 99% of all remotely con*****ed models that are installed as single motors on a boat will sound the alarm if the motor is cranked and the kill switch is activated does not mean that all will do it. Your motor is part of the 1%.

You know for a fact now that the buzzer works. You know for a fact now that the low oil pressure alarm works. Do you now think that there is something wrong with your motor?
                          Hehe, I think we end this thread here and now.

"The kill lanyard trick only works with V4 and larger".

That was the answer I wanted. Now I know everything I need and more than that.

Thanks alot for your help!
                          Last edited by Runnerrr; 05-21-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

most carbed motors of 3 cyl or less wont sound the alarm with the lanyard pulled. most all EFI motors will,but not all.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                              most carbed motors of 3 cyl or less wont sound the alarm with the lanyard pulled. most all EFI motors will,but not all.
                              Perfect! Now I have everything I need to know and even more than that.

Thanks alot!

Comment

Working...
                              X