Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out the new Yam engine

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi22-3nhcLy/?hl=en

I'm sure that it kicks major ass when new but...

Will it rot from the inside out?
    Will it idle for any length of time after its got 500 hours on it?
    Can it handle anything but 100 percent non-ethanol fuel?
    How often will you need to pull and reman the injectors? The VST?
    Will 30 dollar pumps cost $500?
    Will the T-Stats hold salt and eat the block from the inside out? Will you be %$#@*^& when they do?
    Will Yam then tell you to pound sand (after you hand them $20K) and it acts up a year later?
    Think about that for a minute. Then imagine that you have two on your transom.

I hate to be an a$$, but if I were looking at new engines today, I'd look VERY closely at their warranty and I'd look very closely at other engine manufacturers. And I'd consider what they told the folks that bought their engines in the early 2000's when their overheat warnings were going off.

Hint., this is what they said... ファック!! (Rhymes with Duck Soup)

Sure it's the interwebz, but I have read enough in two years to make me seriously question Yamaha's integrity and commitment to their customers. "You didn't flush" an area that NEVER sees cooling or flushing water? AYFKM? Reminds me of Pearl Harbor. F em.
    Last edited by oldmako69; 05-18-2018, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Looks like the Alien in the ****** Alien..lol

Comment

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFQphmkl5BHfY9rh7TEJxgtclcP5NOTmqVsuQyWIr19jFHjcmT.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
          Sure it's the interwebz, but I have read enough in two years to make me seriously question Yamaha's integrity and commitment to their customers. "You didn't flush" an area that NEVER sees cooling/flushing water? AYFKM? Reminds me of Pearl Harbor. F em.
          When I read that comment I just about sh1t a brick.

All Yamaha needed to say, IMO, was "we have a problem, we are sorry, we are creating a solution, everybody that owns an affected motor will be compensated in some way."

Comment

An acquaintance of mine is an attorney. He has a pair of F225s. They began to rot early on and he used all his mad skills and significant legalese to get them to acknowledge and assist in his plight. He put a LOT of effort into the process. They put an equal amount of effort into telling him where he could insert his efforts. In the end, they sent him the parts but the labor was on him.

Had that been you or I the parts would have been "at our cost" or some such BS.
            Last edited by oldmako69; 05-16-2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

An acquaintance of mine is an attorney. He has a pair of F225s. They began to rot early on and he used all his mad skills and significant legalese to get them to acknowledge and assist in his plight. He put a LOT of effort into the process. They put an equal amount of effort into telling him where he could insert his efforts. In the end, they sent him the parts but the labor was on him.

Had that been you or I the parts would have been "at our cost" or some such BS.
              I gotta tell you that what your attorney acquaintance told you is not correct. But then lawyers are known to lie.

Yamaha has helped everyone that had the mid-section corrosion effort. In one way or the other.

By his own admission (you say) they gave him the parts. They did not owe him anything if his warranty or YES contract had expired. As an attorney he should know that. So he got what he was not owed yet he is unhappy? Does not compute in my stupidly simply density mind.

If the attorney's clients came along and asked him to provide more than what he owed to them he would probably have done what Yamaha did. Politely refuse at first but then make a concession in the interest of goodwill. The clients of course would be bitching to the moon that the attorney screwed them. Complained to the bar probably.

Comment

What's not correct? YAM pushed back hard. Yes, eventually they sent him the parts, but he still had to pay to have the work performed. The internet is full of threads about exhaust stack rot where the owners had to pay for the parts and labor to fix this issue. I have a sneaky suspicion that most of them were unhappy about putting thousands of dollars into engines that came from the factory with a built-in defect.

<<"Yamaha has helped everyone that had the mid-section corrosion effort. In one way or the other.">>
                Not according to what I have read. The local Yam guru here has a huge pile of scrap metal that consists mainly of discarded dry exhaust parts. He told me the best cheapest place to buy replacement parts and what his flat rate will be per engine.

My engines are 2005 and will likely rot in the future. Obviously, I have no claim against YAM since;
                1) I did not purchase the engines new, and
                2) The warranty expired a LONG time ago.

My point is that if I were shopping for engines today, I would likely look elsewhere given the way YAM responded to this problem. Should any new design have a built-in Achilles heel, I can only assume that they will act as they have in the past.

http://gotaclassaction.com/yamaha-su...d-boat-motors/

"For customers with vehicles within the written warranty period (which extends for 3 years), it appears Yamaha has made repairs following failures. However, because gaining access to the corroding area often costs several hundred dollars and it is not visible without this expensive effort, these engines are corroding during the warranty period unbeknownst to many thousands of Class Motor owners.

Yamaha has refused to take any action to correct this concealed design defect when it manifests in Class Motors outside the warranty period, despite the fact that substantial corrosion—leading directly to the failures—is occurring during the warranty period. Since the Dry Exhaust Defect typically manifests shortly outside of the warranty period for the Class Motors"
                Last edited by oldmako69; 05-18-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

What OldMako says is very very true.

I know of more than a few guys in my harbor who re-powered with Suzuki due to the self inflicted mess that Yamaha did to their customers.

Yamaha has, and will continue, to lose market share because of their treatment of their customer base.

The question is - do they care?

Probably not in my view. They will make lots of money with whoever stays with them - albeit fewer than what it could be had they handled the dry exhaust differently...

It's like they compared the cost to do a proper recall on Pre-200X 3.3L motors Vs. the cost of lost future market share.
                  Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

What's not correct? YAM pushed back hard. Yes, eventually they sent him the parts, but he still had to pay to have the work performed. The internet is full of threads about exhaust stack rot where the owners had to pay for the parts and labor to fix this issue. I have a sneaky suspicion that most of them were unhappy about putting thousands of dollars into engines that came from the factory with a built-in defect.

<<"Yamaha has helped everyone that had the mid-section corrosion effort. In one way or the other.">>
                    Not according to what I have read. The local Yam guru here has a huge pile of scrap metal that consists mainly of discarded dry exhaust parts. He told me the best cheapest place to buy replacement parts and what his flat rate will be per engine.

My engines are 2005 and will likely rot in the future. Obviously, I have no claim against YAM since;
                    1) I did not purchase the engines new, and
                    2) The warranty expired a LONG time ago.

My point is that if I were shopping for engines today, I would likely look elsewhere given the way YAM responded to this problem. Should any new design have a built-in Achilles heel, am I to assume they will act as they have in the past?

http://gotaclassaction.com/yamaha-su...d-boat-motors/

"For customers with vehicles within the written warranty period (which extends for 3 years), it appears Yamaha has made repairs following failures. However, because gaining access to the corroding area often costs several hundred dollars and it is not visible without this expensive effort, these engines are corroding during the warranty period unbeknownst to many thousands of Class Motor owners.

Yamaha has refused to take any action to correct this concealed design defect when it manifests in Class Motors outside the warranty period, despite the fact that substantial corrosion—leading directly to the failures—is occurring during the warranty period. Since the Dry Exhaust Defect typically manifests shortly outside of the warranty period for the Class Motors"
                    If Yamaha failed to repair your attorney friends motor when the motor was under warranty or under a YES contract then shame on Yamaha. I withdraw my comments if so.

Now I could be wrong (tell me if I am) but I suspect the motor was out of warranty and out of a YES contract. In which case Yamaha owed your friend nothing. He probably asked for something that he was not entitled to received. Yamaha apparently said no. Correctly so. Then, after your friend bugged the hell out of them they offered a concession in the form of free spare parts. As goodwill.

So we have a situation where a customer is owed nothing, yet the company gives him something, and yet the customer is still pissed off. Beyond my comprehension level to be pissed off when getting something for free that one is not owed.

So be it. We all have our own thought processes.

Comment

attorneys are the worst, they think they are above everyone else so they can do anything

Comment

Interesting conclusion.

Many of these engines began eating themselves shortly after they were hung on transoms. Someone put a lousy coating on the metal. The exhaust gasses then began eating the metal as soon as the coating failed. Fortunately for Yamaha, the metal is thick enough for the failures to manifest themselves only later and after the warranty has expired. Yamaha responds by blaming owners for not flushing their engines after use. Their claim is ludicrous since dry stack exhaust corrosion not only occurs above where cooling flow enters the exhaust but its also found in engines which have only been used in fresh water. Class action lawsuits are filed and attorneys are ****s?

I suppose that's one way to look at it.
                        Last edited by oldmako69; 05-18-2018, 10:46 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

that is the way I look at all attorneys
                          sue everybody and never have to pay fees unless you win
                          and then they get paid well.
                          should be pay up win or lose.
                          that would slow down the BS

Comment

Even if well out of warranty , if a substantial fault was found to have origins well within the warranty period, are considered favourably by our consumer laws. If that lawyer used that, then the owner of that Yamaha engine would be still entitled to feel aggrieved if he had to contribute considerable money to rectify the problem, I would think reasonable.
                            However I'm not fond of how lawyers defend obviously guilty scum.

Comment

This Yamaha thing is tiny. One example.... GM and their wonderful Vega piece of sht. Every single 4 cylinder aluminum block failed. Some in warranty most out of warranty. They just kept building and selling them.

This stuff happens all the time.

BTW, I don’t feel these outboard companies have a grip on direct injection. Is it absolutely necessary to meet EPA standards?

Comment

Working...
                              X