Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Need advice on weird starting issue***

Hello everyone,

I was hoping that someone here could shed some light on a weird starting issue that I have been having. I have a 1993 Proline Walkaround 230 with a Yamaha 225TXRR (Low Hours). I just completed a bunch of work on the boat and motor. Take a look at the list below. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

*Professionally drained and cleaned fuel tank
    *New fuel
    *New fuel pumps
    *New fuel / water separator
    *New inline Fuel Filter
    *Rebuilt carbs with rebuild kit
    *New thermostats
    *New water pump
    *New batteries
    *New primer bulb
    -Performed compression test. 1-6 all around 120psi.
    -Performed a thorough leak check of all fuel lines and carbs.
    -New inline oil filter & cleaned feeder tank.
    -New oil

So here is my issue. The boat was running fantastic until yesterday. I went to start her up and the motor wouldn't turnover. She runs for maybe a second then cuts out. The primer bulb stays hard. I checked the vent and it appears to be working. I will try running off of a small 5 gallon tank this evening to see what happens. Could I possibly have a airlock in the fuel line causing fuel starvation? This is so weird!!!

turn over to me means the starter will not turn the motor.
    but then you say it runs for a second. how can it run if it will not turn over?

Comment

The starter works and it will turnover. It will not run for more then a second or two before cutting out. I have used a spark tester to verify that I am getting a good spark. The plugs are brand new.
      Last edited by deepsea79; 05-15-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Back to the old cranking, starting, running, turning over debacle.

Comment

I know nothing about that motors enrichment system.
          is it a electric and manual choke?
          or does it have automatic enrichment?

makes a difference in starting procedures.

also was a link and sync done after putting the cleaned carbs back on?

were the carbs cleaned at the same time all of the other fuel system work done?

hope all of the fuel system was flushed out well after cleaning it and the carbs before trying to fill carbs up for start up
          cleaning carbs and dumping a bunch of junk into them means they need to be cleaned again

Comment

The motor has the Prime Start feature (automatic enrichment). The carbs and fuel lines were cleaned and a new filter installed prior to priming the system after the tank cleaning. The motor ran extremely well for weeks after I did all of this work. I have a feeling that it might be a clogged fuel line or vent issue.

Comment

Maybe try pumping primer bulb while starting motor and continue pumping after it starts up.....if it continues running as long as primer is pumped then it may indicate an issue with the fuel pump...

Comment

Originally posted by deepsea79 View Post
                The motor has the Prime Start feature (automatic enrichment). The carbs and fuel lines were cleaned and a new filter installed prior to priming the system after the tank cleaning. The motor ran extremely well for weeks after I did all of this work. I have a feeling that it might be a clogged fuel line or vent issue.
                in that case it is very likely something has plugged up or restricted passage in carbs.
                may need to go throu them again.

or maybe it is just the auto enrichment is not working on a cold motor , it needs to work until motor warms up from running

Comment

So listen to this. I got home from work today, hooked up the muffs, and she started right up. I didn’t even have to pump the primer bulb. Is there a chance that I was over priming? I was just pumping the bulb until it got hard yesterday. I wasn’t cranking down on the thing. Can you over prime a carbed motor?

Comment

Technically no, you can't, because the float will close the needle into the seat and stop fuel flow, but, of course, it's always possible to have a leaking carb, probably not your current problem though, not too sure of your terminology again, "cranking" the primer bulb!
                    Last edited by ausnoelm; 05-15-2018, 10:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

not if the floats and needle & seats are doing what they should be and stopping the flow of fuel into the carbs when they are full

if only one had a problem then only one cylinder would be flooding
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 05-15-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I had something similiar happen after I replaced the squeeze bulb and it turn out to be the new squeeze bulb that stayed hard but was actually plugged. Replaced with new bulb then problem solved.

aka Reel Kahuna .

Comment

Originally posted by SeonCapil View Post
                          I had something similiar happen after I replaced the squeeze bulb and it turn out to be the new squeeze bulb that stayed hard but was actually plugged. Replaced with new bulb then problem solved.

aka Reel Kahuna .
                          Changed your user name?
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I had to re-register using g-mail email address from ATT.com and this site said "Reel Kahuna" is already taken . I sent an message to the administrator if it's possible to get my old user name back but have not received a reply.

Comment

Working...
                            X