Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 OX66 225hp - Not cooling? Cooling rig job not deep enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 OX66 225hp - Not cooling? Cooling rig job not deep enough?

Was helping my Dad get his boat running yesterday for the first time since last season. It is on the trailer and he has no "muffs" or other method to cool the engine, so we put a large cooler under the foot and the water just barely covered what I assumed were the water intake grates about a foot or so from the bottom of the motor. With some help from starter fluid, we got it running and waited for the telltale water stream to start shooting out of the hole, but it never happened. After 30 seconds or so at idle I shut it off. I pulled the rubber hose off of the telltale outlet and made sure the hose and the outlet nozzle were clear and they were. I tried again.....nothing. The first question is, did I have enough depth for the water intake system to work? I hope the problem is something simple like this. We did replace the impeller last summer and it was running and cooling fine when it was last used. Thanks for the input!

the water pump does not "self prime" at low rpms

when the boat is in the water, it doesn't have to -

because the pump is sitting many inches below water level - which is many inches above the intakes

out of the water, muffs - properly used - force water up into the pump

doing what you did, can melt a water pump housing real quick

Comment

This response is exactly what I had hoped for and I really appreciate it. I am 4 hours away from the boat, but I'm headed back down in a couple of weeks and I'm going to put it in the water and test it. Your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks again!!

Comment

Muffs at Walmart are about $5..... You really should invest in them...

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
          Muffs at Walmart are about $5..... You really should invest in them...
          My wife pulled a Robert yesterday and tilted the motor out of water at the beach yesterday. I was at the front of the boat for about a minute until I realized it was still running.....

I'll take it apart today to see if anything melted.....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

My wife pulled a Robert yesterday and tilted the motor out of water at the beach yesterday. I was at the front of the boat for about a minute until I realized it was still running.....

I'll take it apart today to see if anything melted.....
            I'd also take a spare impeller if it is a four hour trip!

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

I'd also take a spare impeller if it is a four hour trip!
              All good. No harm. Now if I could get the GD lower back in midsection. Kicking my ass tonight. Bugs sent me back inside. Hell with it.

Found a horse Zeno. Throughbred Clydesdale mix if you can believe it. Couple ladies who advise us said they would buy it if we did not. Waiting on vet to inspect.
              Last edited by pstephens46; 05-14-2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

All good. No harm. Now if I could get the GD lower back in midsection. Kicking my ass tonight. Bugs sent me back inside. Hell with it.

Found a horse Zeno. Throughbred Clydesdale mix if you can believe it. Couple ladies who advise us said they would buy it if we did not. Waiting on vet to inspect.
                Clyde cross very popular over here ( with the ladies). Can be very sound and live long. My wife's horse is a Clydesdale Quarterhorse cross, he is big and solid, and worth many$$.

Comment

you have most likely smoked the water pump.
                  however for future reference that motor has an onboard flush device that works well.

Comment

Yep, on my C90 the plastic pump body is $30 and the impeller is $30....so a relatively cheap short course in the price of stupid!....I doubt I'll be doing that again any time soon!....Heck, I've got enough stuff to do without just making work for myself!

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                      Yep, on my C90 the plastic pump body is $30 and the impeller is $30....so a relatively cheap short course in the price of stupid!....I doubt I'll be doing that again any time soon!....Heck, I've got enough stuff to do without just making work for myself!
                      I wasn’t implying you were stupid. Stuff happens. My motor ran for a minute or more out of water. But, it was just pulled out of water so that helped I am sure. Couldn’’t see any changes to impeller or housing. These things happen when people are rushed or pressured for some reason.

Comment

Yamaha placed a very nice flush device on most motors since the late 90's. why not simply use it???

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          Yamaha placed a very nice flush device on most motors since the late 90's. why not simply use it???

Probably because it's not listed practice anywhere I've seen. I trust what you say and have seen.

I use both that flusher (NOT running- and yes I've seen the WP video getting enough water trickling down) and muffs, running.
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                          X