Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 225hp PT&T problem

Hello all,
    This is my first post on your forum so please go easy on me!!
    I am in the process of changing a trim motor on the PT&T system on my 2005 225hp.
    I have removed the whole PT&T from the outboard and now removed the motor from the PT&T. I have a new motor but when I tried to fit it, it would not fit snug & flush on the main body. I then notice the drive shaft of the new motor is about 1/8" (5mm) longer and therefore the motor is sitting proud!! The end of the drive shaft has two flats on it which then fit into a coupling which in turn fits into the drive shaft of the pump. Obviously with the shaft being longer I am unable to assemble the motor. Has anyone came across this problem? Any ideas what I can do? Not sure if shortening the shaft and machining two new flats is an option.
    Many thanks in advance for any advice received,
    Happy boating

buy the right T&T motor

Comment

The right and best fix for that is to take the PTT Motor back where you bought it and get the correct part.. Dont know if it is genuine Yamaha or aftermarket but either way it seems its not going to work..

Comment

What is the complete model of your motor (is this an HPDI, a four stroke, or ???) and what is the part number of the motor that you purchased?

Comment

Yes I tend to agree with the general train of thought, "buy the right part". I gave the supplier the engine number & year and was told an after market part would be identical. Now I believe that is not the case. Time to return to the supplier..!!
          Many thanks for your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Enduro2010 View Post
            Yes I tend to agree with the general train of thought, "buy the right part". I gave the supplier the engine number & year and was told an after market part would be identical. Now I believe that is not the case. Time to return to the supplier..!!
            Many thanks for your replies.
            I learned many many years ago that walking into the part store with the old part and comparing them made a lot of problems like this go away.

But on line will still be a problem
            But at least you can measure things if they will list specs if you take apart before ordering
            Last edited by 99yam40; 02-22-2014, 08:24 PM.

Comment

lets play altenator.
              for the US market in 2005 Yamaha made a VX225 an F225 and a VZ225.
              guess what?
              all took a different yet similar trim motor.

and that's why we keep harping on posting a MODEL number.

Comment

Ok I have now been in contact with the shop & in turn the supplier. The trim motor was the correct part as it was ordered with full engine details, type, number, year code blah blah..... It appears the motor was not assembled correctly or different internal component was used which in turn extended the shaft 2mm. They have agreed to exchange so I will be at the shop with the old motor and armed with micrometer & vernier to check dimensions..!!
                Thanks for all your responses

Comment

Very strange to hear factory put together wrong.
                  More than likely it was just marked wrong or the the wrong part # was sent due to someone messing with packaging and they just made an excuse of it was put together wrong at factory.

Hope you get it straightened out

Comment

Working...
                  X