No crank after sitting a month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No crank after sitting a month

Yamaha f90tlrb boats sat at RV park for about 15-20 days , battery switch in the off position. Today it would not crank starter would engage the flywheel then it sounded like a solenoid was clicking and the engine will not crank over. Battery tested good with the charger I had with me. I ran jumper cables directly to the starter then it would crank and run, although it cranked very slowly. I don't have any testers with me so I'm not sure if I have a
    voltage drop in the battery cables or the starter is going bad anybody seen anything like this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Try a known good battery. Preferably from the wife’’s car. Could be a crappy battery with voltage drop.
    Last edited by pstephens46; 05-01-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I tried a brand new battery with the same results it wouldn't crank the engine over unless I ran it directly to the starter with jumper cable.

Comment

Originally posted by haybailkiller View Post
        Thanks for your reply. I tried a brand new battery with the same results it wouldn't crank the engine over unless I ran it directly to the starter with jumper cable.
        That narrows it down.
        It would appear you have cable/connection issues. Try a thorough cleaning/sanding of all battery cable connections. Do the same on all ground connections to engine block. Be especially wary of any connections below deck, as in bilge.

Comment

Plus 1 ^^^ or the starter relay has failed (burnt contacts inside the relay NOT passing current, or very little)

Try putting your positive jumper cable to the starter (where it's always 12.8 volts). Then try to start. If still no spinning over (just a click(ing) sound, the relay is shot..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-01-2018, 08:35 PM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

If I just use the positive jumper cable it will not crank. If I use a jumper cable for the ground and I use a jumper cable for the positive then it will crank.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
              Plus 1 ^^^ or the starter relay has failed (burnt contacts inside the relay NOT passing current, or very little)

Try putting your positive jumper cable to the starter (where it's always 12.8 volts). Then try to start. If still no spinning over (just a click(ing) sound, the relay is shot..
              I would think he already ran the positive jumper to the starter and it turns over .
              not sure what you are trying to say here

Op did you try just jumpering the negative and not the positive?
              that should tell you the negative/ground connections/cable is the problem
              Last edited by 99yam40; 05-01-2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

It would only crank when both leads were connected if I took off the positive one it wouldn't crank if I took out the negative one and put the positive back on it wouldn't crank
                I'm going to try both positive and negative cable ends tomorrow to see if that helps.

Comment

cables do go bad also, not just the ends.

best to do voltage drop tests to find when the problems are

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I would think he already ran the positive jumper to the starter and it turns over .
                    not sure what you are trying to say here
                    What I wanted (moot now) was the Op to run known, full current THRU the relay, then try the key. IF the contacts INSIDE the relay were BAD the engine wouldn't spin over(dropped voltage).

IE, ruling the relay good or bad..

Sounding now, like a bad connection somewhere.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      cables do go bad also, not just the ends.

best to do voltage drop tests to find when the problems are
                      You're right I just don't have any test equipment here with me. I may have to go buy a cheap tester as that would be cheaper than hauling the boat back to the house.

Comment

Got it the purko on and off battery switch is bad I bypassed that it cranked right up. Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I need to check and see if it was connections or just actually the switch is bad cuz I just bypass it real quick and it works.

Comment

Glad it was an easy fix...

I won't have a switch, just one more thing to break...
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            Glad it was an easy fix...

I won't have a switch, just one more thing to break...
                            The switch is good it was the connections . There was no powdery corrosion but it was tarnished the connectors were black I bought a wire brush and clean them up so they look like brass like they are supposed to . Put it all back together and it works fine . Thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

Trons are peculiar. If they can't run down the street naked at full speed, lots of bad stuff can happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X