New guy with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with a question

Hello folks, I am new here and I have an issue. This past weekend the end cap on my tilt cylinder came loose letting all the hydraulic fluid escape. We were able to tighten and add more fluid, but the bigger problem is the water that got inside. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get the water out? I was thinking this may work:

trim motor up and and lock the pegs
    detach tilt rod from motor
    trim all the way down with the fluid cap off
    take the trim rods out and suck any fluid out
    replace trim rods and refill resevoir

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have a question how did the end cap get loose?? I just rebuilt mine and I took a breaker bar and pipe to get them loose. Any way lock out the motor remove the trim pistons and the fill screw and remove as much fluid as possible. Depending on the age of the motor you should probably replace the seals while you have it apart.

Comment

I have no idea how it came loose. Here is a pic.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm thinking it had an issue before, very recently, and the cap was not screwed down properly. Maybe even that o ring not the right size (too fat)? What do the pin holes where the removal / tightening tool goes.

As suggested as much removed and thoroughly flushed (spray through) as possible. I would imagine that water will if nothing else rust the internal valves eventually making it malfunction.

Comment

The cap should be seated all the way down and the o ring looks wrong.

Comment

The o-rings were fine and the proper size. I am just trying to figure the best way to flush the system and get the water out.

Comment

I wonder how many trim units of DIFFERENT designs and service procedure Yamaha used?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                I wonder how many trim units of DIFFERENT designs and service procedure Yamaha used?
                Well, at least they are all gray. Or not.

Comment

Bo ,
                  they are asking what motor and unit you are talking about if you did not get what they were saying

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    Bo ,
                    they are asking what motor and unit you are talking about if you did not get what they were saying
                    Thanks. It is a 2007 175 hpdi.

Comment

A Z175TXR or a VZ175TLR?

It is right there on the data plate on the left hand clamp bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        A Z175TXR or a VZ175TLR?

It is right there on the data plate on the left hand clamp bracket.
                        It is a VZ175TLR.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkBd0BC3zTw

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the help. I have searched youtube for weeks trying to find that video to help solve my problem.

Comment

To get the water out the assembly will need to be completely dismantled, cleaned, dried and refilled. While apart I would inspect it for signs of any damage due to the water being inside.

Comment

Working...
                              X