Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 115TLRR Trim tilt issue

Hi guys,
    My 115TLRR trimmed itself up earlier today. It tilted all the way up and stayed stuck on until I hit the trim down button on the engine. It stayed down for a few minutes then went up again. Now it's intermittent, I've disconnected the battery to make sure it doesn't do it while I'm away. Any idea where the problem could be? I'm pretty sure it's not the switch on the engine.
    Thanks
    Dave

Not unusual but can be dangerous or destructive. T/T have some force.

If you look back on some threads here I think the problem more than not is in the trim switch on your control lever. Just replace it has had a reasonable life. Others might suggest looking at the wiring and relay.

Comment

simple to disconnect the wiring from one switch at a time at the relay to see if that stops it from happening to narrow down what is causing it.
      the switchw or short in wiring headed up to or in side the con*****er where it moves can short out
      Last edited by 99yam40; 04-21-2018, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        simple to disconnect the wiring from one switch at a time at the relay to see if that stops it from happening to narrow down what is causing it.
        the switchw or short in wiring headed up to or in side the con*****er where it moves can short out
        My T&T relay (just replaced about 2 weeks ago) has one plug (small wires)buried behind the unit. All the rest of the wires are pretty heavy.

I don't know how the op's is (probably different), but following your logic, the op should be able to un-plug the under cowl SWITCH easily and rule that out.

I would think, that smaller two wire connector "sends the signal for both up and down" to the relay. With THAT UN-plugged, if the T&T still acts up, you know it's in the relay.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

switchs fail. yep they do.
          like it has been mentioned, simply unplug it and see. it does not take much continuity to activate the trim relay. that switch is easily tested with a multi meter.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully it's the switch on the forward control, that'll be an easy fix. Will let you know once I've done it.

Comment

Turns out it was the trim-tilt switch on the engine. The rubber boot that keeps it waterproof is split so a little water has been getting in it. It was simple to take apart and clean it up.

Comment

life can be simple some times.
                but did you fix it where water will not get back in there?

Comment

Yeah I'd like to, but can't figure out how. The rubber boot has split all the way around the base of the switch. The rubber is old so don't think gluing it will work. I might try to cover the switch on the outside in something stretchy like latex, probably the easiest way to go. Otherwise I'll just take it apart and clean it out every 6 months when I do a service, it's a quick job. New switch is $45 plus $15 shipping, I might splash out some time when I'm feeling rich.

Comment

or simply let it fail completely, then burn up a 600 dollar trim motor and possibly the 100 dollar relay.
                    not that I have ever seen it in the 30+ yrs I have been doing this.

Comment

Plus 100^.

Just disconnect it at the engine until you can afford a new one...
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

$60 is just a small piece of a BOAT unit

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                          Plus 100^.

Just disconnect it at the engine until you can afford a new one...
                          Good alternative.
                          I tend to have that approach with things if they are not urgently necessary, others frown upon it.. But make sure you have insulated and put the wires safe, and plug the hole so that you are not letting more water in.

Comment

Working...
                          X