2005 225 vmax....can it be fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 225 vmax....can it be fixed?

Took to mechanic for knocking sound, it was determined it was piston slap on #3 cylinder....comp test showed only 40 lbs. I was told it was fried. My question is; is there a chance the damage to cylinder could be minimal since not showing zero? I read locator pin failure is common and a hone and piston replacement is possible for around 3k. Im lost on what to do next, Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

now it is time for a teardown by a competent tech to find out what went wrong and why.
    but if you use a competent tech with a competent machine shop it is a simple rebuild.

Comment

to me piston slap means the piston does not fit the bore as it should.
      maybe lost a skirt or something,allowing the piston to move around in ways it is not suppose to.

until you have it apart and find out what is all wrong, no one will know what all needs to be done.

as Rodbolt said, you need to know what caused it also so you can fix that so it will not happen again the the repaired motor

Comment

Is this a VZ225 HPDI model? I suspect so but... That model is highly susceptible to detonation damage. No knock sensor. There are things you can do as an operator to mitigate future damage once the motor is repaired.

The ring locating pin might be migrating out but it does not simply walk out on its own. It has help.

Contact Chris Carson at www.chriscarsonmarine.com You might be pleasantly surprised.

If the damage is minimal then certainly your block might be able to be repaired cost effectively.
        Last edited by boscoe99; 04-17-2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Thx for replies.....how can you tell if it is detonation damage?

Comment

Originally posted by Jfarm201 View Post
            Thx for replies.....how can you tell if it is detonation damage?
            By looking at the piston and rings. What does the top of the piston look like? Is it cratered? Are pieces of it missing? Are the ring lands broken?

For instance

Comment

Working...
            X