14,000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14,000 rpm

It is slow so a video for entertainment...
    https://youtu.be/nsa6kq-qqIE

Must be a Yamaha!!

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Motor is loafing at 14K. Check out a Formula 1 at 21,000

Comment

Of course both are pikers compared to a gas turbine.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Motor is loafing at 14K. Check out a Formula 1 at 21,000
          But mine cost me $2,000.00, not $1,000,000 PLUS and I can enjoy it everyday!
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I think the cam is going at 7000rpm, as I would recon the engine would well and truely expire before 28000rpm!,

Interesting to see the lubication at work, from an excessive flow to a mist. The spring rotation, and looking at the valve collets rotating suggest the valves are also rotating?

I think the right side is the exhaust side as it seems to have more "steam" from the greater heat transmitted through the valve stem and seat?

One can see/hear all sorts of things. This a multicylinder engine, 4?

Love this sort of demonstration, YouTube getting more and more of stuff obviously from idle people not having better things to do with their lives!

Comment

To see stuff like this with your own eyes is amazing to me. We wonder why stuff breaks in engines of all types and then see it operating at speed and wonder why....how can it not break at some point...

Comment

it amazes me to think how the engineers can figure out how much tension is needed from the springs to close the valves under the conditions they will see and not snap the valve stems or springs.

Comment

While some engineers are figuring out how much tension is needed from the springs to close the valves other engineers are trying to figure out the development of new materials from which to make those springs (and cam followers and such) so they can open and close faster while having a longer life at the same time. Technology is simply amazing. It almost seems to me that if someone can imagine it, someone can make it.

Comment

Is anyone else experiencing a delay between the time they post a reply and the time the reply shows up? Is the message being processed by a software program to try and see if it is acceptable?

Comment

Is anyone else experiencing a delay between the time they post a reply and the time the reply shows up? Is the message being processed by a software program to try and see if it is acceptable?
                      Sometimes. Maybe a delay of 15 seconds. I also get a little pop up box that reads “working”. Most noticeably on my iPhone.

Comment

14,000 RPM? my dad had and raced a british elva with a 4cyl Coventry climax motor with twin SU carbs that changed gears at 15,000 and this was in the 60's.

Comment

While some engineers are figuring out how much tension is needed from the springs to close the valves other engineers are trying to figure out the development of new materials from which to make those springs (and cam followers and such) so they can open and close faster while having a longer life at the same time. Technology is simply amazing. It almost seems to me that if someone can imagine it, someone can make it.
                          We consider things fast when we can no longer detect the movement, but we know things can travel very very fast. Many animals can detect movement at many times the rate that we can.

If the speed of the filming is reduced to the point that things are in slow motion things appear to be running at a more comfortable pace to us again. Slow motion is a useful tool and the action of springs can be observed. I bet you that those springs are nowhere near their springing capacity. An ideal would be that the spring just finishes "springing back" ie just finished their return to full (that part) length that they would naturally, before they are compressed again. That is no waiting time between extension and compression, and this would be at many more revolutions. Just like a bullet, acceleration of the valve back to closing only requires a moment and not the entire time, given enough energy. This spring design would also put the least force on the valve stem and collet as well as on the valve face and seat, at very high revolutions.
                          I think the limits of engine revolution is not on these springs or cams. It is more on the rings hammering, then the piston, then the bearings and then the friction of pushing the air in and out.

Comment

motors in the past have had the valves float, limiting the rpm.

I guess that is what limited the 348 CID chevy motor with 3 deuce set up in the 58 4 door belair to 60 MPH in 1st gear, cause it would not go any faster in 1st
                            Last edited by 99yam40; 04-16-2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

In1966 the works Honda won the 50cc Isle of Man TT when Ralph Bryans revved it to 22,000 rpm, equivalent to 360 bhp per litre. The Honda engineers denied the engine could rev this high so Soichiro, Honda's founder had the hot lily engine removed from the frame, took it to the engine shop on the white leather back seat of his limousine and proved it could indeed do so. These were 4-strokes too.....

Comment

Working...
                              X