2013 Yamaha F225 4.2LT ( OIL LEAK )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Yamaha F225 4.2LT ( OIL LEAK )

Hi guys i have just purchased a 2013 Yamaha F225 4.2LT and it has an oil leak coming down from underside of top cowling after running the engine over 4500rpm for a bit. The oil coming out is aeratord and mixed with water milky looking. I have been checking oil inside engine via dipstick and it is clean! so oil is only getting out and not back into the engine?? ive attached some pics, anyone have any ideas what it could be?
    THANKS!!

Do you know if it had a recent oil change in that someone got sloppy and excess oil is dripping down from the pan (wrong word-what the cowl sits atop)?

Have you looked under the cowl for any signs of oil seepage?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

no recent oil change and no leaks under the cowl the part that is confusing me is the oil thats leaking is mixed with water

Comment

Change the oil. Let’s see what comes out. Use the drain plug versus suction to get it all out.
        Remove filter and look for water. Cut in half just to make sure. Take more pics

Comment

done that oil is clean no water

Comment

and you have run it since changing and it is still leaking milky looking oil?

Comment

yes mate it is

Comment

Ok. One more question, how many hours on this motor?

Comment

1000 hours

Comment

any ideas ?

Comment

Sounds like the oil is mixing with water OUTSIDE the engine. IE splash up from running, but you still have to find the leak.

You may want to degrease the lower power head AND BELOW.

Run the engine some, then spritz baby powder about. If there's an oil leak, it WILL stick to the oil. That should help narrow it down...

RB may know ok a specific issue with that engine.

Looking closer at your pic, it appears it's emanating from a seam where perhaps the powerhead bolds to the mid-section. I can see a SS bolt nearby.

**Can you post the FULL MODEL # of the engine so I can bring up the parts fisch. Should be like F225 TXR, TUR, etc..****
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-13-2018, 11:02 AM.
                      Scott

Comment

I would like to rule out the driveshaft /oil seal but the pics point in that direction. Based on my interpretation of the pics.

Comment

A model # would help...
                          Scott

Comment

Its an F225FETX im in australia so the model numbers here are different but should be the same as all the other 4.2lt Yamahas there 225 , 250 , 300 4 stroke all the exact same engine 2013 model

Comment

if you suspect an oil leak at the drive shaft why not simply look?
                              it is visible.
                              over the years I have seen a few upper crank seals leak.
                              I have seen a few crankcase mating halves leak,
                              that motor also uses a water cooled intake that can freeze and crack.
                              was it down well with simple green or similar,block off the crankcase breather,throttle it up to about 2000 RPM and look for leaks.
                              here NAPA sells a kit that is added to the oil and you hunt with a black light. works very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X