1990 PROV 150 fouling plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 PROV 150 fouling plugs

Hey guys! I got a 1990 pro v 150 on a ranger bass boat I bought 3 months ago it has ran like a top! Until I started to noticed the other day it seem to be a little hard to start after being out on the water a while and normally fires right up after initial morning cold start . I went ahead and changed plugs same NKG BR8HS-10 at .040 gap same as it had. I also awhile ago changed from penzoil premium plus marine 2stroke oil (other guy ran it ) to good old yammalube 2m oil thinking I was doing the right thing. Well Multiple people have told me that yammalube is junk oil and that i should switch back to a synthetic blend type oil , I’m leaning towards Lucas. Anyways went out last week for a few hours no problems , went out this weekend ran fine all day noticed that my WOT dropped from 5500rpms to 5200rpms then I ended up fouling a couple plugs at the end of the day and limped back to the launch ramp running 4300 rpms Wot . Got home and pulled all plugs 4 were super wet oily and fouled . Wondering if i should ditch the yammalube and possibly switch to one series hotter of a plug to a 7 series ? Thoughts anyone? Oh and I cleaned plugs up with starter fluid and a brush and boat ran great after i got home.

have you done any preventative mantanace?
    posting the complete model # helps others know exactly what motor you have

Comment

Thinking that switching to yammalube and 91 octane and not running around lake at WOT , other then that no model number is PROV150D on the Yamaha stamp on the side.

Comment

And previous owner stated that he had carbs synced and oil mixer was replaced 6months ago

Comment

Originally posted by APbassn55 View Post
          And previous owner stated that he had carbs synced and oil mixer was replaced 6months ago
          This should be your engine: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...UMP/parts.html

Per the picture, it appears there's an adjustment rod for the oil pump (part #20).

You may want to check your shop manual that the pump / pump rod is adjusted correctly.

You may very well be pumping too much oil in the engine (sounds like it)

I would NOT be changing to hotter spark plugs and use the recommended grade fuel.

I seriously doubt the Yamaha oil is the issue (once the pump is adjusted correctly) however the excess synthetic blend is probably running cleaner (and simply not fouling the plugs).
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X