Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Cable Size/Moving Batteries

Hello,
    I've never posted here before but, I'm trying to figure out the proper size for battery cables for my 2004 Yamaha 150 2-stroke and wanted to see if anyone here could help. I'm wanting to move the cranking battery from the rear compartment of the boat to the center console and add a second battery. I measured the starter current draw with a clamp ammeter and it reads anywhere from 157-220 amps, which when entered into a voltage drop calculator along with the 15-16' of cable I'll need it tells me I'll have to use 2/0 battery cable. Does that seem right? 2/0 seems really big and all the posts I've read on other forums are full of people saying to just use 2AWG which is smaller and less expensive. I guess the biggest question I have is, how much voltage drop is acceptable? The sites selling the wire that have the voltage drop calculators say it needs to be under 5%... Feeling confused...Thanks for any help.

Your service manual indicates spec gauge battery cable. And if you google search marine battery gauge cable there are charts available that indicate lemgth/volt/amp drop per foot of cable.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

this is what Yamaha has published for guidance on extending the battery cable -
      adding on to the original cable - with them joined by a suitable stud.

The distance in the chart is "round trip" - pos and neg length added together - of the added cable.
      With the chart are instructions:

Be sure to select an extension battery cable and a terminal that meet ABYC requirements or equivalents.

Use a best-suited stud to the terminal size.
      Give solder to the connection of terminals and cables to prevent them from corroding. Coiling and/or looping battery cable should be inhibited because of a power loss.

Last edited by fairdeal; 04-09-2018, 07:12 AM.

Comment

keep in mind the hole size in the motor cable grommet

Comment

notice fairdeal mentioned extending.
          this means to me you still use the exsisting cables and add on to them

Comment

Fairdeal, I can't thank you enough for this. If you don't mind me asking, where is this chart published? I've been looking all over for something like this. Found my new outboard forum!

Comment

https://www.scribd.com/document/2375...ing-Guide-2012

Comment

Also take into account your electronics. If you have a newer, high powered Lowrance or smilar, they have minimum voltage requirements of over 11 volts. So even if you size your cables large enough to power the motor, if the voltage drops below 11 even for a split second, your fish finder will turn off. Not a deal breaker, but gets very annoying if you run around a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch184 View Post
                  Also take into account your electronics. If you have a newer, high powered Lowrance or smilar, they have minimum voltage requirements of over 11 volts. So even if you size your cables large enough to power the motor, if the voltage drops below 11 even for a split second, your fish finder will turn off. Not a deal breaker, but gets very annoying if you run around a lot.
                  The plan is to install a house battery with a Blue Sea ACR, I think that will prevent that kind of stuff from happening.

Comment

Working...
                  X