No announcement yet.

Dry run water pump damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as nothing is distorted....I would run it.

I saw a few pics of impellers that were “run hot” or dry as you might say. The tips looked blistered. Those things are very tough.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
      I'd run it myself. I would not have dropped the gear case if i did not have a new impeller on hand, they are under $30.00.
      I do have new impeller in hand that I bought this morning, but the one that's in there just looked so good I couldn't see any point in replacing it....any thoughts or ideas on that plastic pump housing discoloration??....I can always get a new housing to pop in there if it's recommended....

Comment

Looks like recommendations are all over the map. Change it or don't change it.

Whatever view someone is looking for, a supporting view can be found on the innerweb.

What is it that you are leaning to do? Tell me and I can give you a position that will be supportive.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Looks like recommendations are all over the map. Change it or don't change it.

Whatever view someone is looking for, a supporting view can be found on the innerweb.

What is it that you are leaning to do? Tell me and I can give you a position that will be supportive.
          Well, I'll admit to being a bit paranoid/obsessive about preventive maintenance....that said, this dry run is something that I haven't. Had the pleasure of doing and I just don't. Know which items should be replaced.....question now is, does plastic pump body discoloration indicate a future problem down the river or should I forget it or replace it?....just hoping. For some ideas from folks experienced on this...

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post

Well, I'll admit to being a bit paranoid/obsessive about preventive maintenance....that said, this dry run is something that I haven't. Had the pleasure of doing and I just don't. Know which items should be replaced.....question now is, does plastic pump body discoloration indicate a future problem down the river or should I forget it or replace it?....just hoping. For some ideas from folks experienced on this...
            The rubber impeller got it hot enough to dis-color the body.

IMO, simply replace it...

How many posts of overheating show up here? Folks recommend a WP kit and HOUSING if any discoloration / warpage seen and THAT FIXES the over heating.
            There's also small O-rings sealing everything together. Are those NOW compromised?

A no brainer to me..
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post

I could wave a torch over the housing for just an instant and discolor it. I’d be concerned about heating enough to affect the shape. Shame we have no pics to ****er over. Kinda slow right now. We need content...

And the weather stinks!
              Last edited by pstephens46; 04-10-2018, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

I could wave a torch over the housing for just an instant and discolor it. I’d be concerned about heating enough to affect the shape. Shame we have no pics to ****er over. Kinda slow right now.
                Remember, the impeller rubs up against the SS cup, so that got hot enough to transfer enough heat to discolor the housing too...

The sealing surfaces are not large and the O-rings pretty thin. Wouldn't take much to damage them...

* Just had a front come thru and drop a bit of rain (FIRST decent rain since Irma!! )
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Remember, the impeller rubs up against the SS cup, so that got hot enough to transfer enough heat to discolor the housing too...

The sealing surfaces are not large and the O-rings pretty thin. Wouldn't take much to damage them...

* Just had a front come thru and drop a bit of rain (FIRST decent rain since Irma!! )
                  Since Irma???

Robert didn’t mention the rings. Good point though. Wonder their condition???

Comment

If the impeller looks fine, the water is coming out fine, a bit of Heat discolouration is then just that and won't go anywhere so long as the pump gets water.

I wouldn't bother changing (presumably put together again) anything until a change is detected or time is up for preventative maintenance. And then if the cup still looks fine leave it.

I guess for peace of mind a complete spare pump could be on the ready. I don't even carry a spare impeller, I'm not that paranoid.

Comment

I would leave well enough alone.

Comment

I would replace the entire water pump assembly before I next used the motor.

Comment

I really appreciate all your thoughts and ideas on this....my impression on the water pump/cooling system is that it's not an item that you can ford to be wrong about.....up until now I've just replaced the impeller every 2 or 3 years and didn't worry about it....until this geezer trick I pulled by running it dry...so again, thanks for your thoughts and ideas....

Comment

I'm going first thing tomorrow to order a new plastic water pump housing and install it on my motor....should be good to go then!....I hope!......it's really not much of a job to work on this pump...

Comment

It will give you peace of mind..nice easy job.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                                I would replace the entire water pump assembly before I next used the motor.
                                Crimony! Roscoe!

Comment

Working...
                                X