2004 Yamaha TXRC issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Yamaha TXRC issues

I am having issues with my carbed 2004 Yamaha 150 TXRC 2 stroke motor and I am at my wit’s end. I have rebuilt/replaced everything that I can, and am still having the same issues. I will try to keep this short.
    The motor cranks and idles, but isn’t what I would call a smooth idle and you can smell raw gas when idling. When you give it throttle to get on plane, it is missing on some cylinders, but then will hit and smooth out and run ok up to around 32-3500 rpm. Once you give the motor full throttle, it will speed up and then will start to bog down until you pull back on the throttle.
    Here are the troubleshooting steps and repairs that I have made.
    • All 6 cylinders have great compression. 127 +/- 2 psi on all cylinders.
    • I have rebuilt the carbs with new jets, needles, and gaskets. Readjusted the float bowls. Even made sure to pull welch plugs out to clean and adjust air bleed screws.
    • Replaced all fuel lines above and below deck with new 3/8’s marine grade line
    • New primer bulb
    • New fuel pumps on side of engine
    • All new check valves in the intake and crankcase because over half weren’t functioning
    • New spark plugs gapped correctly.
    • Has fresh gas in it
    • Visually inspected the reed valves, and all look good.
    • Have good strong spark on all cylinders.
    I have taken the carbs off many times and even had 2 other people (mechanics) go through them to make sure that they are adjusted correctly to no avail. So I am sure that it is not in the carbs.
    Interestingly, while the motor is running in neutral, you can pull the plug wires off of the 3 cylinders on the left side of the motor and there is no change in rpm, but you can see/hear the spark. Also when you pull the plugs out on that side all 3 smell of raw gas and are clean. video of this can be found here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AVaFDlcvwjuON0M23

I am hoping that someone can chime in that has some knowledge of this motor and can help me before I give up. I have had this boat for 5 years and never had an issue till now. It’s a pretty low hour motor, not sure how many exactly, but I don’t abuse it and have always kept it maintained.
    Thanks in advance.

Those much smarter than I will chime in - I just wanted to confirm that after taking the carbs on and off and followed the procedure in your manual to confirm the full retard/full advance timing and synced the carbs?

if the carb linkage is out it can cause throttle issues.

Comment

Originally posted by JerEazy2 View Post
      Those much smarter than I will chime in - I just wanted to confirm that after taking the carbs on and off and followed the procedure in your manual to confirm the full retard/full advance timing and synced the carbs?

if the carb linkage is out it can cause throttle issues.
      I did not this last time, but have and it made no difference. Thanks for reminding me to do this though. I will do it this evening after work to eliminate that possibility

Comment

I can't seem to find the manual with the timing specs... can someone please post full advance and full retard numbers for me? Also, is there a way to check the CDI?

Comment

You have Yamaha manual?

Comment

Yamaha manual here...you can download for free.

https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/se...a-shop-manuals

Comment

Yes you can test your inputs and the outputs of your CDI.

You will need one of these along with a multimeter to test.

https://www.amazon.com/CDI-Electroni.../dp/B001O4TZGG

Comment

Working...
              X