GPS Connection for 6yc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Connection for 6yc

Looking for some advice on how to provide NMEA 0183 gps speed data TO my Yamaha 6YC display. My Simrad EVO3 GPS has TX-A (yellow), TX-B (blue), RX-A (green) and RX-B (orange). The Yamaha 6YC display has White wire (nmea+) and Blue wire (nmea-). Sure wish they all used the same terminology.

You only need the Tx wires from the Simrad (it needs to "talk" to the 6YC, nothing for it to "listen" to)

fortunately information is available which translates the various mfr terms:

so you connect
    Yamaha + to the Tx-A of the Simrad
    Yamaha - to the Tx-B of the Simrad

Comment

Hi everybody! I got one question... hope you can help me
      i got the Y6C but my garmin doesn’t support the NMEA 2000 or 0183.
      So, can I buy a GPS receiver that supports NMEA and connect to the Yamaha Y6C?
      I’ve found the one attached, could it be ok?
      thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by PlutusMarine View Post
        So, can I buy a GPS receiver that supports NMEA and connect to the Yamaha Y6C?
        I’ve found the one attached, could it be ok?
        that should do it; the key being that it outputs NMEA 0183 sentence RMC

presumably the package will include schematic/identification of the wires;
        you will need to know which is NMEA + and - to connect with the Yamaha gauge
        it will also have a power + and -
        since you will have to connect it to your boat power for it to run

it won't be "plug and play" - you will just have to make some wire connections.
        not difficult

Comment

Many thanks! I’ll try to do that!

Comment

One more thing... do I need to buy a specific cable/adaptor to connect both devices? Or I can just connect the wires maybe with the same colors? Thanks again!

Comment

Plutusmarine - PROBLEM ! with your proposed GPS receiver!

I googled that Navilock NL-622MP -

the only spec I could find says it runs on 5V - of course your boat is 12V

now, it may actually accept the higher voltage - but only the manufacturer can say

Comment

You’re right! I didn’t see that... I think the best would be to contact the seller and see what he says...
                it’s really strange that it runs on 5V... since it should be good for marine application...
                thanks!

Comment

Sounds like since most of the Yamaha electronics (on the engine) run on 5 volts (with ground), that GPS may tie into the Yamaha harness?
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I don’t know how to connect the GPS receiver to the Yamaha gauge... I’m afraid it’s not possible...

Comment

Originally posted by PlutusMarine View Post
                      I don’t know how to connect the GPS receiver to the Yamaha gauge... I’m afraid it’s not possible...
                      Why not? Power the GPS receiver with 5 volts. Supply the 6YC display with the GPS speed output. Voila, GPS speed will appear on the 6YC display.

What model Garmin do you have by the way.

Comment

I would be hesitant to tap into the ECU reference voltage circuit to run a GPS -
                        although it shouldn't take a great deal of current...

this is the specs for the Garmin GPS17x, a simple NMEA 0183 receiver

I would not be surprised if the "5 volt" unit mentioned above can accept a higher voltage
                        but I would want to see specs that it could handle up to ~14
                        before I used it in a "12V" boat system

(btw, my understanding is that Garmin equipment typically has that wide voltage range,
                        because large boats often run a 24 V system)
                        Last edited by fairdeal; 04-28-2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                          I would be hesitant to tap into the ECU reference voltage circuit to run a GPS -
                          although it shouldn't take a great deal of current...

this is the specs for the Garmin GPS17x, a simple NMEA 0183 receiver

I would not be surprised if the "5 volt" unit mentioned above can accept a higher voltage
                          but I would want to see specs that it could handle up to ~14
                          before I used it in a "12V" boat system

(btw, my understanding is that Garmin equipment typically has that wide voltage range,
                          because large boats often run a 24 V system)
                          Plus 1 ^^^.

I never heard of a GPS (automotive or marine) that did not work on 12 volts (or more)...
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I would not tap into the ECU's 5 volt power supply either.

Comment

Should'nt the gps receiver [antenna] be powered off of the electronics [depth finders]?

Comment

Working...
                              X