F150, T&T Burnt Relay - Pic's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150, T&T Burnt Relay - Pic's

Below are pic's of my original T&T relay, the internal contacts themselves.

I had a intermediate issue of occasional NO DOWN when trimmed(either switch). You could hear the clicking from the relay,
    voltage at the relay output (to the trim motor) would vary & jump about.

Trim motor hot wired direct to the battery worked fine up and down.

Replaced the relay last week and just dismantled the old one. You can clearly see the burned up contacts.

*Unfortunately, you cannot re-assemble as wires for the solenoids get ripped out when separating the halfs..
    However, pic's confirm the relay failed...

I re-call reading the down amp pull is greater than the "up". For what ever reason, this was true on this relay...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-03-2018, 07:34 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Nice pics, Scott!

yes, too bad Yamaha felt it necessary to "pot" those coil leads -

I think my F225 uses a Yamaha t/t versus Showa on the F150

but FWIW these were the amp readings I got on my t/t motor:

during "trim up” 16 amps

during "tilt up” 29 amps

during "tilt down” 20 amps, dropping to 10

during "trim down” 42 amps, dropping to 30

Comment

yea they could make them where you could take them apart ,clean the contacts, and put back together.
      O rings could be used to seal things up.

Think one of the burned spots should have been the problem, a little cleaning would have fixed it.

I thought you replaced that relay some time back, or was that the start

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        yea they could make them where you could take them apart ,clean the contacts, and put back together.
        O rings could be used to seal things up.

Think one of the burned spots should have been the problem, a little cleaning would have fixed it.

I thought you replaced that relay some time back, or was that the starter
        That was the starter relay I replaced a couple years back..

There is a rubber seal that goes around the entire two halfs and short of having to yank the halfs apart (and pulling the solenoid wires seen in the pic), it may have been able to be cleaned up.

As a side note, I already had this relay and when I went to put it on, I found one terminal nut not terribly tight. Sh.t! Tightened it down, seemed ok.

Went out 3-29-18 (first time since Irma) and idled into apparently a 5', 2 x 6" in the water along with a small palm frond (no damage). Turned off the engine, trimmed and tilted the engine to let the frond float away. Tried to tilt down the engine, NOTHING. tried a couple times, nothing. The water PU was still in the water, cranked it up and the tilt down worked.

Well, I knew it wasn't a loose connection. Ran the boat, (ran great, no issues). R&Red the relay after getting home and cleaning the boat/flush, etc.
        No issues since replacement.

Below was the starter contacts (about 4 years ago) :

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-03-2018, 07:37 AM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

why all of the test posts

Comment

Working...
          X