Plugs, not Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugs, not Yamaha

Just doing some routine maintenance an my twin 90HP 4 stokes, motors are running fine, when replacing the spark plugs, one had some tiny green "dots" on the centre electrode, only visible in good light, all other plugs in both motors are perfect, anyone seen this before? the spots are pretty hard to remove from the electrode, never seen it before, and unsure if it's a sign of "something" going on. Did a google and found various answers, from anti freeze leak (impossible on an outboard) to a reverse spark during a waste spark cycle, which doesn't sound too feasible to me, any clues?

salt water or mineral deposits.
    water is getting into that cylinder.
    I would do a leak down test.
    that is the first sign of an issue.

Comment

OK, I will do a leakdown tomorrow, damn hard on Suzuki's, the plug holes are way down inside a tube kind of thing, but I will make up something.

Comment

not a compression test. teat on a boar hog here.
        do a leakdown test.
        those green flecks are the copper minerals that just burned.

Comment

Yep, know the difference, but my leakdown gizmo is only short, so I will simply make one for this motor, the ones I have seen in our auto shops are not much longer than a standard spark plug with an air and valve attachment on the end, be impossible to use one on my motors, that said, I am sure there must be others available, might try a hire place too.

Comment

Working...
          X