Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does "L" indicate "blue" for Yamaha wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does "L" indicate "blue" for Yamaha wiring?

OK, I can remember it,

but it would be easier if I had some idea why - where did that come from?

"lapis lazuli"? lavender" lilac?

or because "B" in blue was already taken for black, so they moved on to the next letter?

Don't know if there was a methodology to using the letter L for the colour blue. Black was taken. My guess is they went with the next letter in the word blue.

Now since the Japanese don't normally use English they might have stolen the letter L from Mercury, OMC, Evinrude or ... when they were coming up for english letters to denote their wire colours.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 03-29-2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I was told why at yamaha school but I dont remember.

Comment

Looks like blue might have been coded as BL one time. Maybe the letter B got dropped for simplicity's sake.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lett...w=1229&bih=588

Comment

If resistors use numbers to denote colours why don't wires use those same numbers? Or why don't resistors use letters?

Not much makes sense in this life.

Comment

Mercury Marine likes to use three letter designators.

Comment

Dave Schumacher said why, cant remember. I have it in one of the school books.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                If resistors use numbers to denote colours why don't wires use those same numbers? Or why don't resistors use letters?

Not much makes sense in this life.
                resisters are measured/spec ed in Ohms.
                color bands where used to indicate numbers
                works for those that are not color blind, but are hard to read after they are overheated and burned open and need to be replaced

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                  Dave Schumacher said why, cant remember. I have it in one of the school books.
                  Dave (and a bunch of others in Kennesaw) were ex-OMC employees. From the OMC plant up the road that closed when OMC went bankrupt.

I wonder if Dave was giving you the OMC story or the Yamaha story?

Comment

reminds me of

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    The problem is that some men can't say "I don't know". They will make up an answer so as to keep from appearing to be ignorant. It is a male trait apparently.

Comment

My answer is at the moment, I don't know.

But the preceding question is did I know L denotes Blue, I don't know.

Should I know, I think so because I have looked at Yamaha manuals. And Boscoes link shows Toyota uses it: I have had Toyotas and have Toyota shop manuals.

I don't know how Japanese translates to English. What I do know there is no L in Japanese.

So I'll use my male trait and guess that L is the first letter of the English translation of the Japanese word for blue?

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                        My answer is at the moment, I don't know.

But the preceding question is did I know L denotes Blue, I don't know.

Should I know, I think so because I have looked at Yamaha manuals. And Boscoes link shows Toyota uses it: I have had Toyotas and have Toyota shop manuals.

I don't know how Japanese translates to English. What I do know there is no L in Japanese.

So I'll use my male trait and guess that L is the first letter of the English translation of the Japanese word for blue?
                        Yes there is. It looks like an R but is pronounced as an L. As in polk flied lice.

Our red would be pronounces as "led". A red led would be a led led.

Comment

you think jinglish is weired. try swinglish.

Comment

Working...
                          X