Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 F150TXR Lower seals?

FIXED!!!!!!!!!
    My lower Prop seals are seeping oil and I want to replace before the season starts. Do I need to remove the carrier or can the seals be removed with out pulling the carrier?
    Thanks, Nick
    Last edited by Nick on the Bad Habit; 04-16-2018, 05:46 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c14ixpVXrZ0&t=452s

Comment

Lower seals? There are driveshaft, shift shaft and propeller shaft seals. Which are you referring to?
      The driveshaft and propeller seals have carriers......you can cheat on both.

Comment

sometimes, when the cheaters screw up. they bring it to me. the repair now cost three times what it should have.
        carefull with the youtubes.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          Lower seals? There are driveshaft, shift shaft and propeller shaft seals. Which are you referring to?
          The driveshaft and propeller seals have carriers......you can cheat on both.
          Referring to the carrier, I suspect he's referring be the prop output shaft seals.

Yamaha calls for removing the carrier.

There are some short cuts on You Tube to pull the two seals while the unit IS assembled.
          But you must be VERY careful to not damage the carrier and shaft..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Referring to the carrier, I suspect he's referring be the prop output shaft seals.

Yamaha calls for removing the carrier.

There are some short cuts on You Tube to pull the two seals while the unit IS assembled.
            But you must be VERY careful to not damage the carrier and shaft..
            Well I am a cheater. At least as far as the propshaft seals. It was nerve wracking to drill thoses holes in the seal body. Stainless metal inside that seal and seems like forever to get through them. Once you have the holes for the screws, easy street.....

I would suggest carefully measuring the depth of the original seals before doing anything in order to seat the new ones properly. Both for the propshaft and drive shaft.

Comment

Do not forget about the o rings on the carriers that should be replaced also

Comment

I would say pull the carrier if at all possible. That is the right way to do it. BUT if the motor has a lot of corrosion in general, a puller is not a option, old motor, the hack way may be the way to go.

Sometimes pulling things apart that are old and corroded can cause more trouble than it fixes.

OP you have been warned about the risks of damaging the housing and/or shaft.

Comment

Thanks for th responses!!! I guess I need to get the correct tool to tear down the lower end. Does any one know where to buy the tools?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick on the Bad Habit View Post
                    Thanks for th responses!!! I guess I need to get the correct tool to tear down the lower end. Does any one know where to buy the tools?
                    Marinetechtools. Everything you need.

Comment

Took awihle to get the order correct from Marinetechtools, since the website gave no spec's on the tools. Took several phone calls to verify the correct tool for my Yamaha F150 TXR.

Comment

I was able to use this tool to get both seals out.The whole seal is made of plastic so no need for drilling and using self tapping screws. The tool is able to bite into the plastic enough to get it to pull out just fine! I was able to reinstall the new seals using a piece of 1 1/4 in length of PVC. I tested the seals to 10 PSI with no problem! Nick
                        Buy Lisle 56750 Seal Puller: Automotive - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
                        Last edited by Nick on the Bad Habit; 04-16-2018, 09:47 PM. Reason: Changed link to corect seal puller I used. Nick

Comment

if you think they are made only of plastic, try cutting one in half.
                          yes they are covered in a rubber type of compound, but there is metal in all of the shaft seals I have ever seen
                          Do not want you to miss lead others that see this post.

I would tend to think you did pul the carrier if you used that type of tool to get the seals out
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 04-16-2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Did you remove the center carrier or just yank the seals while assembled?

If you removed the carrier, any issues getting it to release?
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              if you think they are made only of plastic, try cutting one in half.
                              yes they are covered in a rubber type of compound, but there is metal in all of the shaft seals I have ever seen
                              Do not want you to miss lead others that see this post.

I would tend to think you did pul the carrier if you used that type of tool to get the seals out
                              Good observation, that shaped tool generally would not fit between the shaft and inside of the seal. Although remote, OP did you just pull the rubber seal out and have left the seal casing behind?

Comment

Working...
                              X