Need help 2006 90TLR 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help 2006 90TLR 2 stroke

About a year ago this same thing happened. Going to make another drift and it doesn’t start just clicks. No turning over. Just hearing it click. Tried it a hundred times. Then all of a sudden the next try it started and worked fine for another week. Then repeated not starting. Researched a little and ended up changing the Starter Relay. Seemed to do the trick. Now a year plus later I seem to be in the same situation.

What would cause this to happen twice? Do you think the relay assy maybe causing this? Should I change them both?

Thank you
    Jay

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...CAL/parts.html

Not very likely the relay would fail again so quickly. (I've replaced my starter relay, also a 2006 model once).

I'd check and clean all connections, grounds, have the battery load tested and most importantly check voltages at the relay (both incoming volts and out going).

If nothing found, try jumping 12 volts direct to the starter (by pass everything) and see if the starter is working properly. An internal short, worn brushes etc would cause a no crank issue..

Doesn't take a slightly bad connection to cause issues...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-28-2018, 06:40 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...CAL/parts.html

Not very likely the relay would fail again so quickly. (I've replaced my starter relay, also a 2006 model once).

I'd check and clean all connections, grounds, have the battery load tested and most importantly check voltages at the relay (both incoming volts and out going).

If nothing found, try jumping 12 volts direct to the starter (by pass everything) and see if the starter is working properly. An internal short, worn brushes etc would cause a no crank issue..

Doesn't take a slightly bad connection to cause issues...
      My 2nd on all TownsendsFJR1300 said....

Comment

Thanks guys
        boat sat for the winter. Only started it a couple times this winter. Normally she runs all winter by I was remolding my house. I was thinking the 3 year old battery may need to be changed. I’ll dig in and start from there.

Also when I started it the other day it had a weak stream. 5 mins later the alarm went off. When I felt the water stream it was very hot. I fish all winter and do not get a chance to flush it out with the muffs on after each run per my garden hoses are off. So I’m planned to pull the head and clean it out along with changing the thermostat and valve (forgot the name). When I do this is there anything else I should check or change while I’m digging in? Any tricks or tips like costing the gaskets with something prior to installing? It will be my first time pulling this engine apart since I bought her new in 2006.

Thanks again for for your help.

Comment

The valve is the pressure control valve or PCV.

Do you still have the original water pump in that engine???

If so, it's way over due for changing. Yamaha usually calls for yearly changes, depending on your usage, 1-3 years max (IME). Splines need to be greased, etc, basic maintenance.

Should you find a bunch of salt water corrosion, Rydlem is often used with good results. The head / cylinder jackets tend to clog up the worst and generally need physical removal of deposits.

You may want to check / inspect/replace, etc the anodes in the block. (Click above on the purchase Yamaha parts section, choose your engine and open a parts fisch to see where the anodes are ((if you don't have a manual)).

Just a suggestion, is it possible to run a garden hose from inside the house/garage to the engine when done??
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-28-2018, 08:15 PM.
          Scott

Comment

Thank you

I’ve change the water pump a couple times. And the weather is now warm enough that I have a hose running.

Def need to order a factory Dervice manual. Need to know what readings should be coming off the starter components.

Wheres the best place to order the service manual. See a bunch online but not sure which one is the factory version from Yamaha. Or maybe there’s better???

Comment

Here's one place: https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/se...ervice-manuals

Another member has a link for (I think) free manuals (Panasonic?), you might wait for him to chime in...

Being a 12 volt system, you should see roughly 12 volts going into the relay and going to the starter (when activated).

If voltage drops a bunch, a bad battery or bad connection could very well be the cause. Being it's a 3 year old battery, I'd get it LOAD TESTED at any auto parts store, Walmart, etc. Rule out the basis stuff first...

Please post back with what you find / the fix, etc..
              Scott

Comment

Thx Scot
                I'm going to start with the ignition and controls and check all electrical to the starter.

When I can find the time. Another 6" of snow this morning. The winter that won't quit.

Comment

Everything checked out fine until I got to the relay switch. NG
                  Gave it a whack and it worked fine. Ordered another and installed. We're back in business. Also changed the impeller, bottom end oil, plugs, water filter, new lights and fenders on trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Harley Rider View Post
                    Everything checked out fine until I got to the relay switch. NG
                    Gave it a whack and it worked fine. Ordered another and installed. We're back in business. Also changed the impeller, bottom end oil, plugs, water filter, new lights and fenders on trailer.
                    That's great!

BTW, did you hear a clicking when you turned the key to start (but nothing else happened)?

Just for S&G's, cut the old one apart and check the contacts. I'll bet you see some arcing there.

Below is a picture of my starter contacts (inside the relay)when mine started acing up (and after I replaced it).
                    Besides being curious, I wanted to confirm something wrong inside.

Scott

Comment

Good to hear you are up and running again.
                      Hard to think start relay went bad that quick, but all things can fail at any time.

Hope your trailer wheel bearings and springs are in good shape also

Comment

Working...
                      X