Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why this curious fascination with "stator" (or "stater")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why this curious fascination with "stator" (or "stater")

So a recent post - not here - but on another forum - reminded of something I've seen numerous times - on other forums;

a person asks for help:

"One of my F250 engines seems to want to die in idle right about the time that the VST would run out of fuel.
    It will run fine wide open and over about 2k rpms..
    If it does die, I have to pump the bulb and then it will start right up, then run on plane perfectly.
    But when I bring it back down again after a few minutes it'll die out."

And gets this response:

"If your engine is higher hours I'd look at the stater (sic) coil, could be burning out."

Do folks find a stator to be mysterious and so ascribe it magical properties?

If the other site is TOS then the answers run the gamut. Good answers, bad answers, crap answers, answers having nothing to do with the question, etc. Folks with nary a clue feel free to jump in and offer solutions to stuff they know nothing about. How is a guy asking for help (asking poorly more times than not) to know which is the better answer?

The biggest problem as I see it over there is when someone states symptoms (such as you cite above) then someone is quick to provide a definitive solution. With that being a solution to a different motor many years ago, which had the same symptoms, but a different problem. Motor X vibrated at 2200 RPM's many years ago. Y was the problem. If motor A today vibrates at 2200 RPM's then Y must also be the problem. There must be a word or words for this phenomenon but damn if I know what it is.

Now stator is a funny sort of word. Most people will never have heard of it. It must be magical to them.

Comment

maybe they were shooting for a low voltage situation at idle which might keep the electrical pump from running.
      but if voltage got that low,I would think the ECU would just shut off the motor and not just the pump..

Seems it would be better to just say measure voltages and pressures to see what is going on

Comment

Working...
      X