Swivel tube and clamp bracket grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swivel tube and clamp bracket grinding

2016 Yamaha F150. I noticed that on the right side of my swivel tube it has been grinding against the clamp bracket. Is there a spacer made to resolve this? The left side of the parts is not touching.

we need a picture. I do not think your nomenclature is correct. I am thinking your referencing a steering cyl.

Comment

I am also baffled.

wondering if perhaps he is talking about this surface?

Comment

Fairdeal, yes that is the part that I am talking about. Any reason other than it is a wear pad for it to be rubbing?

Comment

I would think something is bent/twisted or wore out causing them to touch

Comment

Maybe grab lower leg and move back and forth to check for looseness or play there.....caused by warn or bad swivel bearings....

Comment

I think the existence of that part put into the design means that both sides should just be "touching" to guide or hold in place the engine against side forces of a turning engine as it is tilted out. (Or simply the rotation torque of, or giroscopic force on, the engine pushes it that way). That is, to take away excessive force or twist on the tilt pin.
              I think if yours looks like the above, you may have excessive wear at the tilt tube, or your engine setup is such that your using a lot of tilt. Your suggestion of spacing may well be correct. Check also whether the brackets are also firmly bolted to the transom, as those bolts also play a part in holding that part of the outboard together.

Comment

I need to point out that the photo I posted is of my F225TXRD (because it was available)

although it served to indicated the general area the OP is interested in, is not his model.

HOWEVER - seems from a quick look at parts listings - there is a "yooge" difference in design in that area

- appears to be below 200 hp, vs 200 hp and up

here is a F150

and my F225

notice the much larger surface area of the brackets on the larger motor -

and the additional parts: polymeric "friction washers" parts # 12 and 15 on the drawing:

Comment

What about some of the parts on the tilt portion of bracket, Served by about three grease zerk fittings. Could that area wear allowing movement? Some people don't grease as they should.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X