Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha two stroke oil pump leak

Hope I can get some help here,
    I am new to the group but have gotten alot of great information from reading on this forum. I have a 1996 Yamaha 200 outboard that is leaking fresh two stroke from somewhere right around the oil pump. It is not the cap on the reservoir, nor is the reservoir cracked. All the hoses to the oil pump have been inspected and even changed with new ones. Deductive reasoning tells me it has to be the oil pump, but I have a buddy that works for Yamaha that tells me he has never heard of a pump going bad. Is there some seals or an o ring in that pump that could be causing this? Has anyone else ever heard of a pump leaking? Any help is appreciated, Thanks!!

There are some o-rings and such in the parts diagram - but I’ll have to agree with your buddy. Can you see it leaking? Or is it just pooling oil under where the pump is?

Comment

Actually in the process of replacing the gas tank right now so I cant crank it up and watch. Had some mechanics look at it and they changed all the hoses out thinking that was it. Problem continued, they told me I needed a new pump. Just wondering if anyone else had heard of one going bad, I think I read somewhere else about some guys replacing a seal in the actual pump. The two stroke is collecting right under the pump in the cowling. Its been doing this for a long time and seems to be getting worse. Im worried I might be running the engine to lean, so I want to fix it before I run it again.

Comment

i'm a preventative kinda guy. So i would just replace it to make sure there aren't issues going forward.

Don't be stuck on New though. Ebay has the same pump used and removed for a fraction of the cost.

Comment

If it was me I would replace o rings/seals before a new pump

Comment

Thanks for the reply’s y’all. I think I’m gonna take the pump part this weekend and take a close look at any o rings or gaskets. Guy on another forum told me to check that bleeder screw as well make sure it’s tight. Thinking if it is in fact the pump,it has to be an o ring or gasket that is broken, which will be a cheap fix

Comment

Working...
            X