My weekly electrical class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My weekly electrical class

If my memory serves me correctly, my F150 regulator/rectifier has 3 green leads going in and 2 reds going out. Why is that?

It is because your model uses a three phase stator to produce AC voltage. Three completely separate sets of coils each producing AC voltage.

There are some Yamaha models that have but two green input wires to the R/R.

Two or three phase inputs are rectified to two output leads. One positive and one negative.

A three phase system creates more electrical power.

https://www.homemade-circuits.com/un...cycle-voltage/
    Last edited by boscoe99; 03-11-2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      It is because your model uses a three phase stator to produce AC voltage. Three completely separate sets of coils each producing AC voltage.

There are some Yamaha models that have but two green input wires to the R/R.

Two or three phase inputs are rectified to two output leads. One positive and one negative.

A three phase system creates more electrical power.

https://www.homemade-circuits.com/un...cycle-voltage/
      Thanks. So the three coils would also be known as lighting coils? The two reds leads out threw me. Makes sense if one is positive and the other negative.

Comment

Oh, you did say two reds out. I failed to catch that. I was thinking about just two output leads. One red and one black.

Your particular model has what Yamaha calls an isolator lead. It is a second positive output wire (also red) so that two batteries can be charged at the same time. The system is designed such that the starting battery gets priority. Internal circuitry within the R/R will stop providing power to the isolator lead if and when the start battery needs that power.

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X