703 remote control wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 703 remote control wiring help

I am having to rewire a 703 remote control to my 1987 yamaha etlh 70 hp. the original harness was cut and i am installing it on a pontoon with no gauges----but engine and control both are set up for power tilt and trim. I am on a budget with this project as it is an old pontoon and really don't want to get but so much money in it. I have acquired an old wiring harness with the correct 10 pin connector for engine side, however the other end has a white plastic plug that does not match up with anything in my remote control (703) box. I would appreciate help with which wires are needed to be hooked up for proper operation including the warning buzzer located in the remote control. Color code key diagram would be greatly appreciated along with any tips on this hookup. What is the best way to dead end wires i am not using so that they do not short out due to moisture in the future? thanks for any help offered.

There should be a ten pin connector at the engine end of the main wire harness. That connector should be plug and play with a mating connector in the engine harness.

The control box side of the main harness once had bullet connectors which plugged into matching bullet connectors within the control box. The wires are all colour coded.

If wires are not needed and don't have terminal covers on them then simply wrap then with electrical tape.

Comment

Comment

the above are the plugs on both ends.....10 pin should plug right into engine., but splicing other end into remote is where i seek assistance.

Comment

after comparing colors, my GUESS is that the used harness i got was used with some sort of 8 pin plug at remote and it has separate wires for neutral and trim switch. i am missing one green and one blue wire----and one of the three wire sets not going into plug has a blue, green, and red wire. My question for the yamaha pros here is if i only use the blue and green wire and splice them with the other 8 wires in plug, will i be good to go? that will leave one red wire, that was in the bundle with the blue and green wire, as well as two brown wires bundled together, unused. Seems logical, but all logical does not always work! Thanks to anyone who can help.

Comment

Comment

thanks fairdeal.....that helps a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by medicineman View Post
                the above are the plugs on both ends.....10 pin should plug right into engine., but splicing other end into remote is where i seek assistance.
                Does the remote control not have bullet connectors?

I am guessing that you have a ten pin harness for a non-703 control box. A 704 box for instance. That uses two connectors at the control box end in lieu of bullet connectors.

Comment

my 703 does have bulletts inside box, but i am thinking it will be easier to splice on the outside of box as well as give me another couple of feet of cable length. the inside of that 703 is one congested area!

Comment

i believe i have it. did have to tie the two brown wires together to have a complete circuit. thanks a bunch to fairdeal for the wiring diagram-----made it much easier!

Comment

Working...
                    X