Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a Fuel totalizer. sending unit for tank dead ... 2004 200hp 2 cycle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Junglejim03 View Post
    pictures of sending unit? wire off sending unit? or vent tube? IMG_0613.jpgIMG_0611.jpg
    note.. Wema gage does not go to ground lug on tank at that point.
    ground lug I can SEE is the ground to vent for filling at pump

Comment

This I think is the culprit.

A YOURS.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Junglejim03 View Post
        Yesterday... as i could reach wiring on console...
        with this wiring... guage would read correctly...

A READS.JPG
        I'm not making sense of that - unless that was removing power from the gauge.

Before you do un-necessary work - make sure the problem isn't with the gauge itself - or at the gauge

"reading full" means that the "s" terminal ( presumably where the pink wire is attached) is connected to ground - somewhere

are you sure that isn't happening right there at the back of the gauge?

Comment

I am not sure how a ground can be shorted.
          corroded/ bad connection maybe

Comment

You DID MAKE SENSE... i was TOTALLY CONFUSED as well...
            I stood there and put together every conceivable combination of wiring with gauge not installed...
            How in the world... would the gauge read a believable value if only ign power and pink attached?
            That is the ONLY wiring combo that does NOT go to PEGGED FULL on gauge.
            ... connecting grounds also cause an issue... empty i beleive... i was down there by myself for a couple hours

as you state above... the pink must be shorting to ground underdeck,

At one point... batteries went dead, no auto bilge... and hull was full of considerable amount of water.

Simplest diagnostic at this point is installing new wiring from sending unit... just black and pink to rule out short under deck
            To normal connections on gauge as wired and working for 14 years...

Actually simplest wiring... open port... cut wiring... splice ... pull wiring through deck wiring boot 18" away.. connect to guage.

Will this scenario allow a value on gauge, if power and sensor ONLY applied to guage?
            reading full" means that the "s" terminal ( presumably where the pink wire is attached) is connected to ground - somewhere
            Last edited by Junglejim03; 03-20-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Least amount of words
              Let me get known good wiring from sensor to gauge.... I am pretty sure that will resolve the issue

Comment

easy thing to do would be to check the lug on pink wire at the gauge like he said.
                make sure it is not touching a grounded bracket

Comment

had the entire gauge loose... grounding bracket laying on deck

Comment

THANKS GUYS

this was a fun one....
                    Broken connection on sending unit in hull.... rewired to panel
                    and
                    Gauge was history as well.

thanks for all the help... I know it was driving me nuts
                    .... and I was driving you guys nuts too.

thanks to everybody who responded.... took ALL of your help to make sense of that mess

Comment

Working...
                    X