Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To Me 40ELH Questions / Reverse Lock Problems

Hello,

I just got a boat with a Yamaha 40ELH and trying to determine some issues that I have.

1. The reverse lock - I tried flipping the lock lever in both directions to lock when under high throttle in reverse it will not lock, and the motor will pull itself up out of the water. I think I am missing some parts or something the bars that drop over the pin don't seem to be correct ?

2. No gauges on the counsel and was wondering what these connections are for. 6 wires in a pair of 3 each. There is also a open connection on the starboard side of the motor what does this connect to ?

I tried to get the best photos to describe my problems.

New to outboards and Yamaha in general have some experience with lawn mowers ( 3 yr certificate from Briggs & Stratton ) so I think I can cover most stuff mechanically.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Can you post the information on the data plate which is on the transom bracket. Or a picture of the data plate.

Comment

are you sure that is a tilt lock?
      maybe it is a shallow water drive setting

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        are you sure that is a tilt lock?
        maybe it is a shallow water drive setting
        That's what I think as well Yam. Waiting for the OP to post his engine data.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
          Can you post the information on the data plate which is on the transom bracket. Or a picture of the data plate.
          Yes, we need this. A 40ELH is not a model distributed in the USA.

Comment

that tilt lock was not designed to hold under high RPM rev use.
            as you move the lock lever watch the dogs engage the tilt pin.
            it is possible the operating link has been bent.
            the 703 box has way more features than a manual electric long tiller motor has.

Comment

Sorry I guess I dont have my email setting correct I never got a email that some one replied ... Here is the plate

I would think it would lock up on reverse you need full power sometimes to get out of current and it pops out of the water pretty easy in my opinion ...

I think some dog ears are missing parts # 15 and 16 dont seem to be there to me ....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html

I see that the connector at the control box go for the tac / oil / temp gauge - wow that multi gauge is expensive I guess I'll just do with out ....

Still would like to know the wires at the motor go to I was thinking it might be for the charging system or does this motor have a alternator ?

Thanks for your time

BP
              Last edited by DraganTine; 03-13-2018, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Any more info guys before I order the parts 15 / 16 ?

Im in Florida and you say this model is not a US released ??

Thanks For Your Time

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by DraganTine View Post
                  Any more info guys before I order the parts 15 / 16 ?

Im in Florida and you say this model is not a US released ??

Thanks For Your Time

Brian
                  I take it back. I see now that there was a 40ELH sold here in the US in 1987. I must have missed it the first time around. Sorry.

Comment

Yep,

Shes an oldie but runs great she starts up first crank and has 110 on all cylinders.

Im going to order the 2 parts and see if that fixes my lock problem I dont see them on my motor so I assume they got misplaced when some one worked on the motor.

still want to know what the wires at the motor do ?

Aslo one more question can you run with no tilt pin motor sitting on just the bracket I think thats going to be better for my trim angle ?

Thanks again

Brian

Comment

sounds like you may need so wedges if you cannot use the last hole to get what you need

Comment

Originally posted by DraganTine View Post
                        Yep,

Shes an oldie but runs great she starts up first crank and has 110 on all cylinders.

Im going to order the 2 parts and see if that fixes my lock problem I dont see them on my motor so I assume they got misplaced when some one worked on the motor.

still want to know what the wires at the motor do ?

Aslo one more question can you run with no tilt pin motor sitting on just the bracket I think thats going to be better for my trim angle ?

Thanks again

Brian
                        If you don't use the trim pin then the engine lock down mechanism won't have anything to latch on to. Will pop up in reverse.

In your first picture...does the long thin vertical rod move up and down when you operate the engine lock lever?

Comment

Hello,

Yes the rod moves when I raise and lower the lever on the front of the motor ... but like I said I am missing the parts - I should have them on Thursday and will be installing them this weekend.

I went out this weekend and I tried to run with out the trim pin she nose dives too much so Im back to the 2nd hole the first is blocked by a transom mounted stick pin anchor bracket she runs fine on the 2nd hole just wanted to try with out a trim pin so thats a non issue now...

Any clue to the wires at the motor do Still havent got a clue to what they do The blue and green ?

Thanks again - will update after I install the 2 parts

Brian

Comment

Sky Blue and light green are usually tilt and trim wires

here is a link to common wire colors for Yamaha
                            http://www.maxrules.com/fixyamahawiring.html
                            Last edited by 99yam40; 03-27-2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Your service manual with wire diagrams.

https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/se...0en-50etn/file

Comment

Working...
                              X