Boys...I've Got Me A Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
    However, in my mind if it's an internal thing then I reckon the engine would not be performing normally as it is.
    An engine can have something starting to fail and still run normally, in terms of performance. This is, by no means, unusual. Think of a failing ball joint in a car - at first, all that is hard is a faint knocking noise, sometimes only when turning in a certain direction.

Good point above about the noise possibly being in the lower and echoing up.

The long handled screwdriver tip... just in case you haven't done this before... you put the HANDLE end to your ear It acts as a mechanic's stethoscope (which are actually pretty inexpensive). Even a wooden dowel can work for this. When you find the trouble spot, you'll hear the noise more clearly.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Isn't this the engine Jason is talking about? It shows up in his signature for me?
      Dennis
      Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

I am not seeing your signature either

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300

I see mine and Jasons...

Perhaps it's because your almost FAMOUS!!
          I can see both with IPhone. Can't post a pic with it though.

Comment

Only those on the distinguished road can see these sort of things! You know kind of visionary.
            Dennis

Comment

After thoroughly looking, touching, etc, I'm still left without the answer to my question of what the heck is rattling. Soooo, grab your head phones or hearing aid. There are 3 youtube links below. The 1st is video/audio, though don't mind the video as I'm just placing the phone's microphone in different positions around the engine. The 2nd and 3rd links are strictly audio, using a different recording app on my phone. I believe the audio only files sound more clear.

In order to hear what I hear, you'll have to ignore the sound of engine, sound of whirling flywheel, and sound of exhaust. Once you do, you'll hear what I've called a rattle....but could be termed a "tinging". I can best describe this sound by taking a utensil and rapping it against the side of a glass cup, very very fast. Most pop songs have 80-100 bpm (beats/min). I'm guessing this rattle is over 300 bpm. So you're trying to focus your ear on the high pitch, fast beating rattle. Good luck.

Video File:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GAo84StPZE

Audio File #1 - Motor Idle
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b032AAy6_Mk

Audio File #2 - Motor in Gear
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLeF77kkCSw
              Jason

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300

I see mine and Jasons...

Perhaps it's because your almost FAMOUS!!
                I am so almost famous that I cannot change anything in my user settings

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I am so almost famous that I cannot change anything in my user settings
                  User page => Edit Settings => Account => Edit Signature => Check Box "Show Signature"
                  Jason

Comment

Speaking of this new user interface....what are those bars under each users name? 99yam has 2 red bars. No one else on this thread has any colored bars. Looked at a different thread with Boscoe, even he had no colored bars. And everybody knows he's worthy of some colored-bar recognition
                    Last edited by Jason2tpa; 02-25-2018, 09:01 PM.
                    Jason

Comment

No one knows for sure what those two red bars are but I think it has something to do with him being 99YAM and just being exceptionally different?
                      Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
                        No one knows for sure what those two red bars are but I think it has something to do with him being 99YAM and just being exceptionally different?
                        If this ^^^ were accurate rodbolt would have every color of the rainbow filled in under his name, no?
                        Jason

Comment

User page => Edit Settings => Account => Edit Signature => Check Box "Show Signature"
                          You do not under stand, when I say I cannot change anything in my user settings, I mean it will not let me.
                          I reported this and they have done nothing to fix it.
                          as long as I can still read and post I ma OK

it keeps saying I need to enter a correct birth date, but it will not let me enter anything
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 02-25-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

After thoroughly looking, touching, etc, I'm still left without the answer to my question of what the heck is rattling. Soooo, grab your head phones or hearing aid. There are 3 youtube links below. The 1st is video/audio, though don't mind the video as I'm just placing the phone's microphone in different positions around the engine. The 2nd and 3rd links are strictly audio, using a different recording app on my phone. I believe the audio only files sound more clear.

In order to hear what I hear, you'll have to ignore the sound of engine, sound of whirling flywheel, and sound of exhaust. Once you do, you'll hear what I've called a rattle....but could be termed a "tinging". I can best describe this sound by taking a utensil and rapping it against the side of a glass cup, very very fast. Most pop songs have 80-100 bpm (beats/min). I'm guessing this rattle is over 300 bpm. So you're trying to focus your ear on the high pitch, fast beating rattle. Good luck.

Video File:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GAo84StPZE

Audio File #1 - Motor Idle
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b032AAy6_Mk

Audio File #2 - Motor in Gear
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLeF77kkCSw
                            I can hear it clearly especially around the one minute mark when looking down at the engine. seems louder on starter side to me.

Can hear it better without head phones, played through stereo speakers...

Comment

I can hear kind of a metallic tinny sound best on the audio only but then don't know where you are in relation to the engine.
                              Dennis

Comment

No Rodbolt is well behind 99 in post and then only 99 is 99!
                                Dennis

Comment

Working...
                                X