• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300

It's in his signature (maybe your device doesn't show it):

Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170
    Thanks Scott...it does not show on my end.

Comment

Jason can you see the bottom of the timing plate underneath the flywheel? Follow the timing plate control rod up to it and give it a tap and or shake see if it has gotten loose somehow. They are made of stamped steel and would have tinny sound if loose.

I don't how your pickup coils are attached to the plate but mine have little stamped steel covers over them. One of them loose maybe...But that would involve taking flywheel off and that would be my last resort.

Engine not running of course..

Comment

Looking through my service manual I came across this parts blow-out, indicating parts that require greasing. Despite my being on top of PM, I've never addressed greasing the parts circled in red below. Quite possible they've never been greased during the engines lifespan, being that it's not exactly an easy to get to part. But the sound I'm hearing isn't a squealing, as in metal rubbing against metal. If the parts circled in red below are in fact w/out grease, would the result be the sound of rattling?
        Jason

Comment

Maybe...hard to know without taking the flywheel off. One of them is a Bronze bushing and the two rings are phenolic or plastic..I believe. They are on my two stroke anyway. Timing plate swivels on them.

I don't what to tell you really. Try to narrow it down with the stethoscope. Might be a real bugger to get that flywheel off on a engine that old.

Maybe Rodbolt will have something to say about it.

Comment

Still, probably a good idea to pull that flywheel, because grease is called for and consensus forming that good source of rattle possibilities under there.

Comment

well it cannot be post count, he has 1054 and others have more posts than that

I guess some are just special
              Last edited by 99yam40; 03-03-2018, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Jason, you're boucing all around - like pulling at straws and "hoping" there's a magic answer. Truth is, for us, it's all a guessing ****. It's only slightly less of a guessing **** for you, the way you're going about it. Gotta start 'diagnosing'. You can read and research for 50 hours and still not be any closer. Hands on is the best approach here.

One of the cluses that we mentioned was the "erratic" nature of the sound. While this doesn't completely eliminate something on a rotating shaft, it highly suggests otherwise. Focus on that. I mentioned the shfit shaft as an idea since it would be of about the right weight to make that sound and could be vibrating at a an odd cycle. I'm certainly not suggesting this IS the cause, just that it's the type of thing that could be a possibility. Did you check that? Another thing could be a bolt that has backed off and it and/or the washer is vibrating. Heck, there could be a loose bolt laying in the bottom of the cowl. Again, I'm not saying these ARE the issue, just pointing out things that COULD make that sound.

By the way, a while back, you had an oil slick that you were gung-ho on fixing. A couple of us had posted back wondering about the final outcome. Any word?

EDIT: Apparently my use of the word g-a-m-e was censored!
                2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Anybody know what the bars are for?

If they are for being contrary, they would be all be full...lol

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                    Anybody know what the bars are for?

If they are for being contrary, they would be all be full...lol

I heard they are like "strikes"? 10 strikes and you're OUT! Apparently the forum isn't familiar with standard baseball rules. Actually, no, I have no clue
                    Last edited by DennisG01; 03-04-2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                      Might be a real bugger to get that flywheel off on a engine that old.
                      That's ^^^ what I'm afraid of

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                      By the way, a while back, you had an oil slick that you were gung-ho on fixing. A couple of us had posted back wondering about the final outcome. Any word?
                      Haven't noticed the slick as I had before. I did thoroughly clean the lower cowling pan, but I don't believe this was the cause.

Appreciate all the insight about the source of the rattle. Zeno made a valid point...whether or not this rattle is emanating from under the flywheel, it's overdue for a greasing. I'll need to locate the tools necessary to pull the flywheel. According to the manual, 2 tools are needed: puller and holder. Other than the appropriate size socket and wrench, any other tools needed?

20 year old engine that's most likely never had the flywheel removed. Can you say PBlaster or torch and AT fluid Ugh

Flywheel 1.jpg

Flywheel 2.jpg
                      Attached Files
                      Jason

Comment

Shouldn't need heat or any sprays, it's a taper fit, so it should "pop" off, not get dragged off!

Comment

Pulling a flywheel is pretty straight forward. It's exactly as you imagine it - no surprises or special things needed. I used an impact wrench with mine. I don't recall if I used a puller or just tapped the sides of the flywheel with my fist and/or a hammer to loosen it, but whatever it was it came off easily.

EDIT: Just remembered - I used a puller
                          Last edited by DennisG01; 03-05-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

If you do this, make sure you do not screw the bolts in too far if they are threw holes.
                            You do not want to hit and damage parts under the flywheel if the bolts stick down in there too far.

And do not put any grease or other things on the shaft when putting back together.
                            the tapered fit is what holds the flywheel to shaft to keep it from spinning. The key is just to index them

Comment

Yup, that would help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post

Haven't noticed the slick as I had before. I did thoroughly clean the lower cowling pan, but I don't believe this was the cause.
                                That's good. At least you got that one sorted out. I'm still betting it was just "normal" for a good 'ol 2-stroke and maybe you just never noticed it as well before, or the light was shining just right that day to see it better.

The flywheel nut should come off easy enough. But before you do anything, spray some PB in there and let it set for a day. After you get the nut off, if the wheel doesn't want to come off with the puller, spray some more PB down between the threads and the wheel. You can also try tapping the flywheel with a hammer (note, I said tapping, not hitting with all your might).

Comment

Working...
                                X