Boys...I've Got Me A Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post

User page => Edit Settings => Account => Edit Signature => Check Box "Show Signature"
    I couldn't see anyone's signature, including my own. Thank you for listing that. I found the "checkbox" at:
    User page => Edit Settings => Account =>... then paged down till I found: "Conversation Detail Options"
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

I can hear it clearly especially around the one minute mark when looking down at the engine. seems louder on starter side to me.
      That's where I hear it best, too. Am I wrong that it sounds erratic in it's "beat"?

How 'bout something like the shaft connection?

The sound is definitely a "lighter" metal sound. It's not something beefy - it's something with less mass.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post

That's where I hear it best, too. Am I wrong that it sounds erratic in it's "beat"?

How 'bout something like the shaft connection?

The sound is definitely a "lighter" metal sound. It's not something beefy - it's something with less mass.
        Yep. This is what I hear too. I hope Rodbolt can open these links. We need to start a gofundme page to buy him a new laptop.

Comment

Ok good, sounds like those whom have listened are hearing what I'm hearing. And pano you're correct...this sound is definitely more present on starter side of engine, and also near silencer. I didn't have my power drill with me to remove the silencer cover, which when I do remove it, could get me closer to the exact area this sound is coming from.

Amy ideas though on what it could be?
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Look, digitised sound, and the speakers attached (mine is iPad) the sound is hard to determine. It can be anything you wanted it to be. The noise of hitting the porcelain when I release my bladder, but not your engine pisser I don't think.
            It definitely tinny resonance. Your bendix not moving, not that part of starter.
            Just guessing, something to do around the flywheel, things wiz by not quite touching underneath now just collecting something. If all else exhausted if it not hard I'd pull that flywheel and look underneath. A ball bearing pending failure tends to have a squirmy erratic sound. Choke plates or butterfly valves rattle in carby tend to be dampened by oil ,cause that is a two stroke.
            If there is a prize I and others might think a bit harder. Do you have those radio quiz segments where you guess what the sound is?

Comment

Is there something different about your motor, compared to mine, that you need a power drill to remove the bolts that hold the intake silencer on? Can't you just use a phillips head screwdriver? Whatever you do, DO NOT use it to screw back in - or at the very minimum, not without first starting the bolt a few threads. Even then, you should snug it down by hand.

The suggestion I made above was just off the cuff as that is something "about the right weight". Just keep looking for things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                Is there something different about your motor, compared to mine, that you need a power drill to remove the bolts that hold the intake silencer on? Can't you just use a phillips head screwdriver? Whatever you do, DO NOT use it to screw back in - or at the very minimum, not without first starting the bolt a few threads. Even then, you should snug it down by hand.

The suggestion I made above was just off the cuff as that is something "about the right weight". Just keep looking for things like that.
                Standard phillips driver does the job, power drill does it much faster. Didn't have either with me at the time.
                Jason

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300

I'm surprised you don't keep a small tackle box full of basic tools on-board.. Might want to think about it...

On my lap top (speakers suck), I can barely hear it (but did). Short of pulling the flywheel, (and I agree, it may something coming loose under there),
                  peek up there, maybe poke around in that area, for any shrouding, brackets loose, cracking, etc...

It didn't sound like a major rod knock or anything major, too light....
                  Don't be surprised, I do keep a fully loaded tool box on the boat. The day before I did a big cleaning, removing all contents from bow compartments and hadn't replaced. I ain't old yet, but my memory slips from time to time
                  Jason

Comment

Find that rattle!!!! We are waiting on the edge of our seats.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      Find that rattle!!!! We are waiting on the edge of our seats.
                      I tell ya bud, aside from doing another look over, I'm reluctant to go any further with the search. And believe me, this isn't something I'm accustomed to since I prefer a preventative method of maintenance verses "fix it after it's broke".

Could I pull the flywheel and go searching? Yeah, but how then could I locate the rattle when the engine cannot be started because the flywheel is removed. Am I wrong? If I am, someone please instruct me on the procedure for starting a 2 stroke without the flywheel on to engage the starter.
                      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post

I tell ya bud, aside from doing another look over, I'm reluctant to go any further with the search. And believe me, this isn't something I'm accustomed to since I prefer a preventative method of maintenance verses "fix it after it's broke".

Could I pull the flywheel and go searching? Yeah, but how then could I locate the rattle when the engine cannot be started because the flywheel is removed. Am I wrong? If I am, someone please instruct me on the procedure for starting a 2 stroke without the flywheel on to engage the starter.
                        Not much going on. Just messing with you.

Sometimes we wait. To see if things become more clear. Unless we have an f150 with a whining noise....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Not much going on. Just messing with you.

Sometimes we wait. To see if things become more clear. Unless we have an f150 with a whining noise....
                          No, I was serious about inquiring if there is a method. Cause it wont sit well with me if I don't determine what's causing the noise. 99yam made a valid guess by saying it could be a bearing under the flywheel. So lets say I pull the wheel off...how would I then "test" the bearings under their normal operation? It's possible a bearing would have a visually detectable defect, which would make the troubleshooting easy. But what if there aren't any visual defects. So, that's where my head is at the moment. Suggestions welcomed.

Jason

Comment

Jason get yourself one of these and start probing around the engine....try to narrow it down. Be careful around the flywheel.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lisle-52500-Me.../dp/B0002SQYSM

Comment

What is your engine again? I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                                Jason get yourself one of these and start probing around the engine....try to narrow it down. Be careful around the flywheel.
                                https://www.amazon.ca/Lisle-52500-Me.../dp/B0002SQYSM

Stethoscope would be a good thing to use to narrow down where the sound is coming from.
                                if it is hitting it will transmit into the parts
                                Last edited by 99yam40; 03-03-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X