Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuilding Carbs tomorrow - any last words?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding Carbs tomorrow - any last words?

S150TXRU

ive got Rodbolt’s procedure from a post on another site - a service manual (which isn’t too thorough on the subject) and kits arriving tomorrow. So the goal is to rebuild and then run her on Saturday to see if it solves some issues. The boat used to sit for 6 months or more from a snowbird here in FL - so I don’t doubt this needs to get done.

any last minute tips/pics/or land mines to avoid? I read somewhere to get some g chord guitar string to run through the passages to make sure they are clean.

thanks again!

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...uild-procedure

it is a freaking carb.
    in the 40+ years I have been rebuilding carbs on all kinds of engines I have never used guitar strings. clean it, reassemble per manual, run it.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      it is a freaking carb.
      in the 40+ years I have been rebuilding carbs on all kinds of engines I have never used guitar strings. clean it, reassemble per manual, run it.
      Yes - yes it is a carb. But i don't have 40+ years of experience rebuilding them. This will only be attempt # 3 on any carb rebuild. and #1 on Yamaha.

Being that i am generally a "Monkey See - Monkey Do" kinda guy. And, being that i've never rebuilt this particular type. Never seen anyone do it. And, i can't seem to find a youtube on these carbs either. So, it seemed prudent to ask if there were any differences or common issues with this type.

So you're saying there isn't anything extra to pay attention to? Thanks.
      Last edited by JerEazy2; 02-22-2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

it is a carb.
        does not matter if it is a mukuni, an SU, a Holley, a q-jet a mono-jet or whtever.
        clean it. pay attention.
        go enjoy it.
        trust me it aint black majik.
        grab a can of CRC 06064 and give it ell.

Comment

Thanks Rod.

Do us all a favor and strap a go-pro on your head and put it all on YouTube any time you do work - Vulgarity, Sarcasm and all.

Comment

Originally posted by JerEazy2 View Post
            Thanks Rod.

Do us all a favor and strap a go-pro on your head and put it all on YouTube any time you do work - Vulgarity, Sarcasm and all.
            Now this is funny!

Comment

Follow the instructions as Rodnut gave in the link you provided. Important to keep the parts from each carb together, do it on a clean piece of cardboard and somewhere if you drop any pieces you may have a chance to find them.

I was the one who mentioned that you can use the high E string off a guitar, it's about .010" thick. This is for jets or passages that are really plugged up that carb cleaner, and compressed air won't clear. The guitar string is stiff enough to not bend easily like a piece of copper wire will. Hopefully your carbs are not that plugged up.

Rodnut you missed out on great little tool in the last 40 years then. I have used this method successfully many times on really plugged up jets. I guess you don't play the guitar.

Good luck on your carb cleaning and take your time with the job.

Canadian snowbird?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Now this is funny!
                I will send him my Gopro camera to do it with...I don't think he will have one...lol

Comment

Dangar Marine. On You Tube.

Comment

Dangar is first rate, Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

I will send him my Gopro camera to do it with...I don't think he will have one...lol
                      I don't see why Rodbolt couldn't use the bore scope that he already owns. He could duct tape it to his hat. He said it has audio. We don't want to miss that part.

Comment

Ha ha lol ha ha ha

Comment

https://youtu.be/ye_Ui9D8dBE

As Bosco suggested, a good general video on carb cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

Canadian snowbird?
                            Worse - New Yorker....

I've watch Dangar before - his videos are great. And the one he did on the Johnson/evinrude carbs really helped with my last engine. I figure this isn't TOO different. Just call me overly cautious i guess.

Comment

Oh and a GOOD Phillips and flathead screwdriver. JIS Phillips if possible.

Never ceases amaze me that folks will spent 10's of thousands of dollars on a boat and motor, and will balk severely about paying a few extra bucks on a good screwdriver. Then proceed to tear up every screw on their carbs....using Crappy Tire (harbor fright equivalent) junk tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X