F350 Trouble Code 162

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F350 Trouble Code 162

On the way out yesterday we launched the boat off a rogue wave, got air-born, and landed hard.

Upon landing starboard engine throws the check engine light and goes into limp mode for code "#162-Control"

Turned off batteries to clear code and we were back in business until we hit another good wave and back in limp mode. So we ran it all day high speed *****ing in limp mode, I just compensated the throttles to overcome the reduced rpms in limp mode.

Does anyone know what code #162 is, I'm sure its an easy fix since the engine ran fine for 8 hours after this event.

Thanks,

well, the (uselessly) simple answer is that indicates a communication problem within your "fly by wire" system -
    that the engine or remote control ECU is not happy with the input from the "lever position switch"

given the circumstances, one could suspect a "momentary loss of electrical contact" - i.e. "bad wiring connection" with the helm connectors

"check the electrical connector and wiring continuity" is the easy answer - but seems to me, in practice, "a fools errand"

you could certainly "take a look for anything obvious" - for what that's worth

Perhaps Rodbolt has some real world help...
    Last edited by fairdeal; 02-12-2018, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks, I checked over all the connectors I could find with nothing remarkable observed.

Any specific connectors I should be looking at with that code?

Thanks

Comment

If the problem surfaced immediately upon a hard landing, and repeats itself after being cleared upon receiving another good jolt, I would suspect a wiring connector issue at or within the control box. Specifically the main 14 pin connector at the box. Maybe disconnect and reconnect that connector. See if the wire harness is securely fastened such that it cannot move about.

If the 14 pin connector is not the issue then it will be within the control box itself.

Comment

Update:

I checked the connectors at the throttle and didn't notice anything out of the norm, sprayed some silicon spray in the connector, and secured the wiring better with zip ties.

The code 162 - MSLPS 1 Sub Power Short/Ground Open is Main Station Lever Positioning Sensor..... Does anyone know what pin this is in the connector?

Does anyone have a schematic for the control box?

Thanks

Comment

I see that you have asked your question over on THT.

Good luck getting an answer over there.
            Last edited by boscoe99; 04-07-2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. Low faith in dealer, and electrician by trade, pretty sure I can handle this/

Don't want to buy a $1600 control box.

Thanks

Comment

There are two kinds of twin engine control boxes. Need to know which one you have. Either provide the box ID or look under the box for extra harnesses that are not being used if you do not have a second station. If you have a second station those harnesses will be in use. If no second station and if no unused harnesses under the box that needs to be known.

Comment

I can't find a number on it anywhere, but I believe it's a CL-2MA.

I also done think it has a second set up harnesses for a second station, however there are a few unused plugs that I have attache din the pics.

thanks,

Comment

Save these images cause I won't leave them up long.-

Comment

Thank you... I will start trying to track it down.

In the event I give up, can you suggest a model number for replacement con*****er?

Thanks,

Comment

I would wait and see if it happens again.
                        sometimes when an electrical device gets a sharp jolt it jiggles things.
                        each LPS has two potentiometers a hard jolty could cause one of them to momentarily lose contact.
                        and if it is working correctly when you test it using YDIS version 2.2 or higher then guess what you will see?

Comment

I can replicate the problem, anytime its worse than 4-5 foot seas it will do it.

I also learned this weekend when I turn my sound systems the subwoofers rattling the boat will throw the code.
                          Last edited by no-tel-in; 04-09-2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Sad that vibration of speakers even cause problems with modern technology

Comment

It's seems to be a contact/connection issue to me.... Was fine for 1700hrs of operation, now something has worked its way loose.

I just need to pinpoint it.

Comment

Working...
                              X