Thermostat Bore corrosion revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
    Anybody ever thought to paint the thermostat frame, as it closes the electrical with the salt bridge plug. Takes two dissimilar metals to tango.
    well, the thermostat flange is surrounded by a rubber gasket - with that "insulator" there actually is no metal-to-metal contact

At least, not until sufficient wet "salt" accumulates in the cavity to "bridge the gap"

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      I click the "like button" for the last two posts and it shows "unlike"... ???
      That's how it works Scott. If you decide you don't like the post after all you can "unlike" it....lol

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

Oh my post showed up after all.....see above.

Stephens do you have a General Aviation airport somewhere close by? If so, go make friends with some mechanics and ask them if they can get a you say 10ml of Alodine. Don't be shy now...just look for the scruffy looking dudes out by the door smoking and complaining a lot.....that will be the mechanics....hahaha
        The shipping on the products was over $70.00. The cleaner and coating. I will try to source locally. You would think with Gulfstream based in Savannah I might find it. Thanks for the info again.

Comment

That's how it works Scott. If you decide you don't like the post after all you can "unlike" it....lol
          I understand that however, on my end, the post shows: 'UNLIKE", not like..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

There I just liked your post...what does it say on your end?

Comment

It shows "like"... Thank you!!
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

more importantly what does it show on your end?
                I see 1 like on each 34 and 35

Comment

Our government to the rescue again. I can't find zinc chromate spray. Apparently it is too dangerous. Zinc phosphate is the replacement.

Whats the chance that it will work as well? Why is everything so difficult?

Panasonic. Can the surface be prepped with the stronger cleaning vinegar that can be purchased at some hardware stores?

Comment

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ptiprimers.php

Comment

Here is one choicehttp://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ptiprimers.php

Comment

Aircraft Spruce dot com has it. System won't let me post a link.

Just go to their website and type in zinc chromate primer in the search box.

Comment

this is what I use - available on the shelf at the Big Pine Ace Hardware

https://www.amazon.com/802-Zinc-Phos...rimer%2C+Green

Comment

I can joint he club -- doing my PM's on my 2004 F90 and noticed water and discoloration on the carburetor side of the motor (not the electronics side!) -- started motor and saw water dripping from the top. Yep, thermostat cover was corroded to all hell. Lucky I caught it before things really got bad......but this was bad enough!! Check out the pinhole!! BTW, same thing happened to my brother's 2010 F115.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                              Our government to the rescue again. I can't find zinc chromate spray. Apparently it is too dangerous. Zinc phosphate is the replacement.

Whats the chance that it will work as well? Why is everything so difficult?

Panasonic. Can the surface be prepped with the stronger cleaning vinegar that can be purchased at some hardware stores?
                              I don't know about vinegar. Alumiprep 33 is basically phosphoric acid. Vinegar is acetic acid and pretty mild.

I would Google vinegar cleaning aluminum. Whatever you do make sure you clean the bore with solvent like brake clean before application of the zinc chromate.

Comment

well you are lucky if it is only the housing and not the block being eaten away.

I though marine stores still sold the zinc chromate primer even tho hardware stores no longer sell it

Comment

Working...
                                X