No announcement yet.

Thermostat Bore corrosion revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better news. Back to Aircraft Spruce's website I go. I punch in the zinc chromate and shows up in stock in both warehouses. CA and GA. GA? I call to find out where the warehouse is located. Hoping ATL?
    Peachtree City. Peachtree City Roscoe! So I ask if I can pick up the Alodine/Bonderite next time I am there. Yes. She asks why? I tell her the site showed $70.00 for shipping. No way she says. She punches in the zip code and magically $13.00 shipping. So tomorrow I will have a lifetime supply of Alodine/Bonderite and cleaner. I'll worry with the paint later.

No idea how I f'd up the shipping the first time.

Comment

Get them to send you a paper copy of their catalog. Lots of interesting stuff and factoids in there.

I keep one by the throne for ready reference.

Here is a video showing an aluminium part being treated for corrosion mitigation.

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video...true&q=alodine

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Here is a video showing an aluminium part being treated for corrosion mitigation.
        Great vid!

(great site with more great vids)
        parenthetically, from a quick look around there,
        I'm tempted to conclude that the intelligence of the average airplane owner/enthusiast
        is substantially higher than the average recreational small boat owner.

I suppose idiotic aircraft owners weed themselves out fairly early....

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Get them to send you a paper copy of their catalog. Lots of interesting stuff and factoids in there.

I keep one by the throne for ready reference.

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video...true&q=alodine
          Very good video Boscoe. He covered the process well.

It is not corrosion proofing though, corrosion resistant would be a better title.

If it was corrosion proof...all the airlines would have mass layoffs of Thier structures tech staff.

Comment

I agree that there is no such thing as corrosion "proofing". Notice that I used the word "mitigation" in my post. You can slow it down but you can't stop it. Insidious comes to mind. Relentless.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

Great vid!

(great site with more great vids)
              parenthetically, from a quick look around there,
              I'm tempted to conclude that the intelligence of the average airplane owner/enthusiast
              is substantially higher than the average recreational small boat owner.

I suppose idiotic aircraft owners weed themselves out fairly early....
              There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots.

Best video IMO was the one about the addition of a metal tire valve being used to vent the plastic tank from hell. The EPA one. Gonna do my tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

Very good video Boscoe. He covered the process well.

It is not corrosion proofing though, corrosion resistant would be a better title.

If it was corrosion proof...all the airlines would have mass layoffs of Thier structures tech staff.
                One more question for our resident metallurgist. Fellow in video mentioned diluting both products. What is your opinion on this?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

One more question for our resident metallurgist. Fellow in video mentioned diluting both products. What is your opinion on this?
                  Follow instructions on the bottle you get...no worries.

Comment

Aluminium corrosion per se ain't as big a problem, it's when it is in combination with other metals.
                    Plenty of shiny (no, actually gray aluminium oxide coated), for all appearances good aluminium, to be found from US Airforce wrecks from WW2 in our Cape York. Bits that look no different than the day they crashed, what 75 years ago. There in the tropics, jungle if you like where there is a wet season!

Comment

Question, with salt build up thru out the power head, will the above product get rid of salt before it starts protecting?

IE; Anyway to do a flush to rid salt OR protect the innerds after say a Rydlem treatment?
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        Question, with salt build up thru out the power head, will the above product get rid of salt before it starts protecting?

IE; Anyway to do a flush to rid salt OR protect the innerds after say a Rydlem treatment?
                        acording to what I read the parts need to clean before you start the process.

after Rydlym cleaning it is always a good idea to flush with clean water to remove everything you can to stop the reactive process and get all of the loose stuff out

Comment

Working...
                        X