Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak

Hey fellas have an oil leak out of this hole just above lower unit. Oil is clearish green. Yam 70hp 2 stroke 99. What seal would it be

Identify the oil first. Have you ever changed the lower unit oil? Did it look like this? I am guessing that is what you are seeing. Without looking at the diagram I assume you have two seals for driveshaft and one for shifter shaft.

Comment

lower unit lube smells a lot different than 2 stroke oil.
      smell it.
      If it is clean 2 stroke oil , it is probably running down the drive shaft from the power head.
      need to find out where it is coming from up there

is this motor an auto lube or premix?
      Last edited by 99yam40; 02-11-2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I can't see any oil in the picture.

Comment

he was saying that is the hole it comes out of

Comment

Take the Lower unit down and see where it is coming from with a pressure test on lower unit.

Or it may be two stroke oil running down the inside of the leg as Yam already said.

Comment

Its definitely gear case oil as it has that distinct oily smell to it. It only leaks out when the engine is almost fully tilted up.

Comment

Check this link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lnhZFn5gkG4

Comment

Originally posted by jaredluke View Post
                  Its definitely gear case oil as it has that distinct oily smell to it. It only leaks out when the engine is almost fully tilted up.
                  YouTube channel Dangar Marine for some tips. Pressure testing lower unit....

I tried to paste it but was blocked.
                  WTF?

Comment

Drop the lower, tilt it up like it would if it was still attached. Note where it leaks from. Reseal and replace gear oil. Drive shaft/shift rod seal?
                    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

If you have lower unit lube leaking out, you will have water in the lower unit.
                      have you drained the unit lately to see if water is getting into the lube

Comment

Hmm, my cousin is experiencing the same thing, may have to relay these info to him.

Comment

No i havent dropped lower unit oil ill do it this weekend

Comment

Stupid question but this is the only oil seal i can see via the service manual. Are there any others I need to order?

Comment

Should be two oil seals for the driveshaft and one for the shift shaft. Also two orings for the seal carriers for each shaft.

There is thick blue line at the top of the page, on the left side in the blue line is three short grey lines. Click on the grey line and you will see "buy yamaha parts" Find your engine. The LU parts diagram will show you the seals you will need. If you have the money you may a well do your water pump while you are in there.

Did you drain your LU oil and see if there is any water in there as suggested earlier?

Do you know if the LU has been off before or in the last several years at least?

Keep us posted on how you are doing and what you find.
                              Last edited by panasonic; 02-13-2018, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X