225 sho blowing fuse. help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    my thoughts would be to follow/test the wires&pins from the ETV relay to the ECU, into the ECU, and then back out of the ecu to the ETV both paths.
    one of those has to have a problem
    I will try. From boscoe's diagram it seems to be r/g wires to the 5 and 12 position on back of fuse/relay box. I seem to remember many many more wires than that but I will have to go take another look. If that's the case I can likely trace them back to the entry of the ECM at least. Should be pretty easy to trace the wires from the ECM to the ETV. They are wrapped and bundled but they all run along the top of the motor in a plastic case channel around the flywheel. When I finally get this resolved I will post the solution. I really appreciate everyones input here.

Comment

at least when you test stuff and write it all down and then take it to someone, you have an idea if that makes sense with the results you got

Comment

I'll try again.
        that 10 amp fuse feeds the ETC and ETC only.
        any RED wire under the hood has 12V anytime the battery switch is on.
        yellow is key on 12v,yellow red are typically various relay or constant 12v outlets when the key is on.
        getting back to the ECT.
        pin 73 on the ECU is the ground path that closes the relay. pins 59&60 are 12v inputs to the ECM via the relay.
        pins 56&58 are 12v outputs to the ECT motor, ground one and power the other and the motor moves. reverse it and the motor moves the other way.some place between the fuse,relay ECM then back to the ECT you have an issue.

Comment

I guess I do not understand why you are not checking the wires directly involved with the fuse that is blowing.
          Rod posted them 59,60,56,&58.

I have a hard time believing what that manual shows at this point, due to the errors we have seen already.
          but what can you do? You need something to follow.

Since Rod has posted that the wires to the ETV motor send power and a ground to the motor and are reversed to change direction of motion by the ECU.
          if no problem is found with the wires, then I would think the ECU has a problem and is grounding a terminal when it should not be,
          I would think that could be tested
          Last edited by 99yam40; 02-11-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

What is/are the ETC or ECT?

Comment

Dam it I wrote ETV, but notice Rod wrote ETC so I changed it.
              still not awake this morning I guess

Comment

Did the OP say that the power head was replaced some years back? I take it the wiring harness was swapped from one to the other....a possible clue.

Can the EVT be isolated, then using a 12 volt supply, a battery, with a inline fuse incorporated, hook it up using the appropriate pins in the plug and see if it pops the fuse in said inline fuse?
                I did not see anywhere in the while conversation that this was done?

If this was done and the EVT does not blow the fuse...start wringing out the wires leading to the EVT as Rodnut has already said.

I am betting on a short in the harness.that a meggar will find when the eyeball may not...

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I guess I do not understand why you are not checking the wires directly involved with the fuse that is blowing.
                  Rod posted them 59,60,56,&58.

I have a hard time believing what that manual shows at this point, due to the errors we have seen already.
                  but what can you do? You need something to follow.

Since Rod has posted that the wires to the ETV motor send power and a ground to the motor and are reversed to change direction of motion by the ECU.
                  if no problem is found with the wires, then I would think the ECU has a problem and is grounding a terminal when it should not be,
                  I would think that could be tested
                  99yam, I have checked continuity from the 6 pin plug at ETV back to the ECM plug. All wires check out and none are grounded other than the correct ground wire. Unless I am wrong tho all wires from the fuse block go thru the ECM before they travel to their final destination, so I am having to unravel the bundle of wires from the fuse block to the ECM. This is where I have 2 wires not showing continuity as manual suggests. Panasonic has a good point, this could be a 2010 wiring harness on a 2013/14 powerhead as it was replaced under warranty. There very well could have been some changes over that time frame. Now, since I have not totally unwrapped the wires as of yet, I could be wrong about all wires passing back thru the ECM. There could be a few wires that make a U-turn under the wrapping that I can't see yet but based on the diagnostic tests included in the manual I have it would seem that all power wires travel thru the ECM first. I will have to think long and hard about the suggestion to isolate the EVT and power it up with a separate 12 v supply. I suppose this might test the fuse but it seems it could jeopardize safety mechanisms in play and could do damage to ECM as well. And maybe not, I'm no genius but since I have found 2 wires without continuity I think I will travel that road first.

Comment

99yam are you online? I tried to send you a PM but think I sent a visitor request instead. Did you get any message from me?

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                      Did the OP say that the power head was replaced some years back? I take it the wiring harness was swapped from one to the other....a possible clue.

Can the EVT be isolated, then using a 12 volt supply, a battery, with a inline fuse incorporated, hook it up using the appropriate pins in the plug and see if it pops the fuse in said inline fuse?
                      I did not see anywhere in the while conversation that this was done?

If this was done and the EVT does not blow the fuse...start wringing out the wires leading to the EVT as Rodnut has already said.

I am betting on a short in the harness.that a meggar will find when the eyeball may not...
                      He has already disconnected the ETV and the fuse still blows, so rules out the ETV.

With everything hooked up as if running, I would unplug the ECU connector and test 56,58,59, &60 pins in harness to rule out all of the wiring and rest of the circuits.
                      If none show a ground , it seems the only thing left would be the ECU

An open wire would not blow a fuse, plus those wires are not tied to that fuse/circuit.

still need to see what is sucking down the voltage you measured in that one test.
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 02-11-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        99yam are you online? I tried to send you a PM but think I sent a visitor request instead. Did you get any message from me?
                        I just looked and see you did, I replied back

Comment

99yam, gotcha. I'll check 56-60. I decided to take a break from it for awhile, clear my head. Will check those wires tonight since it's still easy to get to and also re-check the continuity issue on 52 and 45. They are power wires so no idea why the continuity test failed but I agree, an open wire should not blow a fuse.

Comment

First off, thanks to all who had help and input here. Got back to it tonight. Checked terminal/wire 59,60,73,55,64 and then 28,29,32,34,56,and 58. These are all checks for ETV and TPS circuit listed in manual page 5-28,29 and also pointed out by rodbolt. Every single thing checked out ok. No problems with any ground, all continuity checks were ok and I even checked every wire for continuity to ground to make sure there were no shorts. Nothing. I then backtracked to the problems with 2 wires having no continuity a few days ago. Page 5-25 (checking engine ECM circuit). Previously I mentioned no continuity from terminal 52 to 22 and 45 to 23 on wiring harness. This is correct and I am only sharing this b/c I believe to be yet another discrepancy in the manual. While there was no continuity to 22,23 as mentioned, there was continuity from 45 to 20 and 52 to 19. These are respectively 3 pins to the left on the ECU plug and same pattern. Either it is not marked correctly in the manual or I am dealing with a different wiring harness than what is shown in the manual I have. Since there was continuity at these 2 pins and I see absolutely no indications of wire burns, compromised insulation or anything else out of the ordinary, I am assuming the wiring harness is intact and functional. Everything is hooked back up now except the battery and I have not tried a power up to see if fuse still blows. I am assuming it will, since I have found no problems and have not made any changes. I hope that my cleaning and thorough inspection may have possibly resolved a weak connection but I have my doubts. I plan to inspect the tilt/trim system and some other wires in the boat and then attempt a start up with a new battery (just in case - but I have already tried 2 good batteries). Frankly at this point I am not looking for answers but posting this in hopes it might help someone else as far as the manual information. If the fuse pops this time I am headed to a yammy mechanic with YDIS and I will pull out the VISA. I'll post the verdict when I get one and possibly a picture of the YETI if he shows up . Again, thanks a million for your input and patience with me. Love this forum.

Comment

hunting yeti.
                              why bother with the TPS pins?
                              your only looking at stuff on the ETV circuit between the 10 amp fuse and the ETV.
                              NOTHING else will pop that 10 amp fuse.
                              not the key switch,not the LPS not the TPS all that 10 amp fuse is there for is to protect the ETV and its circuits.
                              yest the ETV does have a TPS,actually two of them but they are powered by an entirely different 5V circuit.
                              an open will NEVER blow a fuse,only binding devices or a short to ground blows fuses.
                              do a google search on kircoffs laws. especially the law of current.
                              YDIS most likely will show nothing. the TPS monitors the angle the ECU simply applies the power and ground paths to operate the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                                hunting yeti.
                                why bother with the TPS pins?
                                your only looking at stuff on the ETV circuit between the 10 amp fuse and the ETV.
                                NOTHING else will pop that 10 amp fuse.
                                not the key switch,not the LPS not the TPS all that 10 amp fuse is there for is to protect the ETV and its circuits.
                                yest the ETV does have a TPS,actually two of them but they are powered by an entirely different 5V circuit.
                                an open will NEVER blow a fuse,only binding devices or a short to ground blows fuses.
                                do a google search on kircoffs laws. especially the law of current.
                                YDIS most likely will show nothing. the TPS monitors the angle the ECU simply applies the power and ground paths to operate the motor.
                                This thread damn sure needs some clarity.

Comment

Working...
                                X