Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain please?

In regard to my ignorance.

The difference between the low and high speed coils. Are they needed on both 2 and 4 stroke motors?

High speed and low speed charge coils are used in motors that have a capacitor discharge ignition system. Could be a two stroke or four stroke. The electricity to fire a spark plug is generated just before it is needed. By a magnet whizzing by the coils.

Not all motors use a cdi system.

More tomorrow.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 02-04-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

p - send me your email address via PM please. I will send you more information than you will want/need to know about Yamaha ignition systems.

Comment

Only some CDI motors use both low and high speed charge coils, some use just one charge coil

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          p - send me your email address via PM please. I will send you more information than you will want/need to know about Yamaha ignition systems.
          Please send it to me as well..thanks

I will PM you as well.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Are the terms low and high speed interchangeable with primary and secondary?

Edit: Charge coils are located at the flywheel. Ignition coils are located after CDI/ECU. I had them confused....

For or some reason I always assumed the spark plugs fired directly with AC current.
            Last edited by pstephens46; 02-04-2018, 03:41 PM.

Comment

High speed and low speed are in reference to the charge coils.

Primary and secondary are in reference to the ignition coils.

All ignition coils have a primary and secondary set of coils within them.

As 99yam noted, not all CDI systems use both a high speed and a low speed set of coils. Some simply use one set of coils.

Now you know that spark plugs are fed direct current. Hopefully we can all learn something new every day.

There are so many different engine configurations that it can boggle the mind. It certainly boggles mine mind.

Comment

Boscoe what do you "mine" in that mind of yours?
                Dennis
                Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  High speed and low speed are in reference to the charge coils.

Primary and secondary are in reference to the ignition coils.

All ignition coils have a primary and secondary set of coils within them.

As 99yam noted, not all CDI systems use both a high speed and a low speed set of coils. Some simply use one set of coils.

Now you know that spark plugs are fed direct current. Hopefully we can all learn something new every day.

There are so many different engine configurations that it can boggle the mind. It certainly boggles mine mind.
                  Another question regarding your documentation.

Section detailing the TCI system mentions the pulser coil as if it also functions as the crank position sensor. Is this usually the case?

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
                    Boscoe what do you "mine" in that mind of yours?
                    The quarry is mostly barren. Depleted. Runout. The electrons have left the building.

I knew that frontal lobotomy was not going to be a good idea.

Better to have had a bottle in front of me than the frontal lobotomy.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Another question regarding your documentation.

Section detailing the TCI system mentions the pulser coil as if it also functions as the crank position sensor. Is this usually the case?
                      The pulser coil functioning as a crank position sensor? At times, yes.

For usually, I would have to do some reading.

Yamaha does so many different things in so many different ways it is hard to make a blanket statement. If one is made it usually, at times, will be wrong.

Comment

They do tell the CDI or ECU what the crank position is so they can fire the spark for a certain cylinder

Comment

like boscoe said, depends on the engine. some have two,some have one.
                          TCI ign works a bit different than cdi but not much.
                          in a CDI system the sudden rise and fall of that voltage peak causes the primary field to collapse.
                          the TCI a transistor opens the 12v circuit and causes the field collapse.think of a TCI system as a simple transistor "points" setup.

Comment

I am getting 290-330v out of my charge coil low speed at idle, seems high? I have a 1999 yamaha ox66 efi engine. High speed coil is 150volts. Both measured with dva adapter.

Comment

Charge coil high voltage is good. Low is bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X